Place:Chillenden, Kent, England

Watchers
NameChillenden
Alt namesCilledenesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 147
TypeVillage, Former parish
Coordinates51.233°N 1.25°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoEastry Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1935
Goodnestone, Kent, Englandcivil parish to which it was transferred in 1935
Dover (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Chillenden is a village in the eastern part of Kent, England, between Canterbury and Deal. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it was recorded as 'Cilledene'. In 1800 the parish was made up of 160 acres (65 ha), containing three farms, one belonging to Mr. Hammond, and the other two to Sir Brook Bridges. In 1935 Chillenden ceased to be a civil parish. The area was absorbed into Goodnestone civil parish.

It was home to the families of Thomas Chillenden and William Chillenden, both Priors of Christ Church Priory, Canterbury, now known as Canterbury Cathedral.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Chillenden. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.