- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also a place named Cherington in Warwickshire. It is described in Wikipedia. This village does not appear in Wikipedia.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cherington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHERRINGTON, a parish in Tetbury [registration] district, Gloucester; 3¾ miles NNE of Tetbury, and 3¾ WSW of Brimscombe [railway] station. It includes Westrip hamlet; and its post town is Avening, under Stroud. Acres: 1,880. Real property: £2,474. Population: 232. Houses: 48. The manor belongs to W. Gordon, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £276. Patron: the Rev. W. George. The church is Norman. There is a free school. Professor Trap, the translator of Virgil, was a native."
Tetbury (1837 - 1937)
Cirencester (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Cherington, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Longtree (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tetbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cherington, Gloucestershire, England