Chepping Wycombe is a civil parish within Wycombe district in the ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire. The parish includes the three large villages of Tylers Green, Loudwater and Flackwell Heath. The central part of the parish comprises extensive business and industrial development lying adjacent and underneath an elevated section of the M40 in the valley of the River Wye.
The name, Chipping derives from the Old English word cieping meaning 'market' or 'market-place'. Historically, Chepping Wycombe (or Chipping Wycombe) was the formal name of the ancient borough and later municipal borough of High Wycombe. It was also the name of the ecclesiastical parish which extended further than the borough boundary.
The civil parish was originally based on the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Chepping Wycombe. In 1894, when parish councils were introduced under the Local Government Act 1894, the original civil parish was split between the urban area of High Wycombe (Chepping Wycombe Municipal Borough) and the rural areas outside the borough to the east (Chepping Wycombe Civil Parish). The parish was reduced in size in 1901 ceding land to the adjacent High Wycombe parish and its boundaries were further changed in 1934.
Today the areas which comprised the historic borough and that of the civil parish, (the residual part of the ecclesiastical parish) together with West Wycombe constitute the majority of the present-day High Wycombe Urban Area.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References