- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Chedworth is a village in Gloucestershire, England, in the Cotswolds and is known as the location of Chedworth Roman Villa, administered since 1924 by the National Trust.
Chedworth Parish is bounded by the Foss Way (spelled Foss locally not Fosse as it is in Warwickshire) to the east and River Coln to the north while the southern boundary straggles from The Hare and Hounds Inn at Foss Cross to the River Churn North of Marsden, including the hamlet of Chedworth Laines but not the Industrial Estate of Fossecross or the hamlet of Calmsden.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chedworth.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county