|Alt names||Cerletone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 112|
|Charlton-Abbots||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Kiftsgate Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Sudeley, Gloucestershire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|Winchcombe Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1935-1974|
|Tewkesbury District, Gloucestershire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Charlton Abbots from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHARLTON-ABBOTS, a parish in Winchcomb [registration] district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2½ miles S by E of Winchcomb, and 6 E by N of Cheltenham [railway] station. Post Town, Winchcomb, under Cheltenham. Acres: 2,190. Real property: £1,247. Population: 109. Houses: 18. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £38. Patron: J. Chamberlayne, Esq. The church is old."
Charlton Abbots was absorbed into Sudeley parish in 1935. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time). The area is now part of the Tewkesbury District.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Charlton Abbots, Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sudeley, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury District, Gloucestershire, England