Chandrapur District is a district in Nagpur Division of the Indian state of Maharashtra.It is located at the boundary of Andhrapradesh. The district was formerly known as Chanda District. In 1964, it was renamed as Chandrapur. It was the largest district in India until it was split into the separate district of Gadchiroli. It had a population of 2,071,101 of which 32.11% were urban as of 2001.
It is famous for its superthermal power plant, one of the biggest in Asia, and its vast reserves of coal in Wardha Valley Coalfield. Chandrapur also has large reservoirs of limestone. The abundance of lime and coal supplies many cement factories like L&T (now UltraTech Cement), Gujarat Ambuja (Maratha Cement Works), Manikgarh, Murli Cement and ACC Cement in the district.
Tadoba National Park near Chandrapur is one of India's 28 Project tiger reserves.
The city of Chandrapur, the administrative headquarters, has ancient temples of Anchleshwar (Lord Shiva) and Mahakali (Goddess Mahakali).
In ancient times Chandrapur included Vairagad, Kosala, Bhadravati and Markanda. Hindu and Buddhist kings are said to have ruled the area for a long time, Later on Gonds overtook Mana Naga Chiefs who ruled Chanda around 9th century and Gond Kings ruled the area till 1751 after which Maratha period started.
In the 18th century, the district became part of the dominions of the Bhonsle Maratha Maharajas of Nagpur. At the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Maratha War, the Bhonsle state of Nagpur became a princely state of British India. In 1853, when the Bhonsle Maharaja died without a direct male heir, the British annexed the kingdom, which became the Nagpur Province of British India. Nagpur Province was merged into the newly-constituted Central Provinces in 1861. Chandrapur District was known as Chanda District.
In 1854, Chandrapur was an independent district and in 1874, it comprised the three tehsils: namely, Warora and Bramhpuri. In 1874, however, the upper Godavai district of Madras was abolished and four tehsils were added to Chandrapur to form one tehsil with Sironcha as its headquarters. In 1895, the headquarters of one tehsil transferred to Mul to Chandrapur. A new tehsil with headquarter at Gadchoroli was created in 1905 by transfer of zamindari estates from Bramhpuri and Chandrapur tehsil. An small zamindari tract from Chandrapur district was transferred to newly formed districts in 1907. In the same year an area of about 1560 square kilometres comprising three divisions of the lower Sironcha tehsil (namely Cherla, Albak and Nugir) were transferred to Madras State.
After India's independence in 1947, the former Central Provinces became the new Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. No major changes occurred in the boundaries of the district or its tehsils between 1911–1955.
The Indian states were reorganised along linguistic lines in 1956, and the largely Marathi-speaking Chandrapur District was transferred from Madhya Pradesh to became part of Bombay State.
In the same year, Rajura tehsil, a part of Adilabad district of Hydrabad state, was transferred to Nanded district subsequently it was transferred to Chandrapur district in 1959. The district became part of the Maharashtra since its creation in May 1960. For administrative convenience and industrial and agricultural development the district was again divided into Chandrapur and Gadchiroli districts after 1981 census.
The famous jatpura gate located at the center of chandrapur.
The district is currently a part of the Red Corridor.