- source: Family History Library Catalog
In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carruthers like this:
- Carruthers, an ancient parish on the eastern border of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, consolidated in 1609 with Middlebie and Penersax, and now forming the eastern section of the present Middlebie. From the Earls of Bothwell its lands passed to the Crown by the forfeiture of Earl James, in 1567; and, given by James VI. with the earldom of Bothwell to his cousin Francis Stewart, by him they were forfeited in 1592. Subsequently they went, with other lands in their vicinity, to the Douglases of Drumlanrig.
(Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Refer to the parish of Middlebie