Carrickmacross is a town in County Monaghan, Ireland. The town and environs had a population of 4,925 according to the 2011 census, making it the second largest town in the county. The town won the prestigious European Entente Florale Silver Medal Award. It is a market town which developed around a Castle built by the Earl of Essex in 1630. The Convent of the St. Louis Nuns now stands on the original castle site. The local Gaelic football and hurling club is Carrickmacross Emmets.The local soccer team is Carrick Rovers
Carrickmacross is well known for the attractive lace bearing its name. Carrickmacross lace is worked in an individual style, devised by Mrs Grey Porter, wife of the rector of Donaghmoyne, who introduced it in 1820. When she left the district the teaching of Carrickmacross lacemaking was continued by Miss Reid of Rahans, but it was only after the 1846 potato famine, when a lace school was set up by the managers of the Bath and Shirley estates at Carrickmacross as a means of helping their starving tenants, that the lace became known and found sales. Subsequently the lacemaking declined, but in the last decade of the 19th century the Sisters of St Louis founded their own lace school to revive the craft, and this was quite profitable for several years. Although the outbreak of the 1914–18 war marked the virtual end of commercial production of hand-made lace in Europe, the lace school kept the technique alive throughout most of the 20th century. In 1984 the St Louis Sisters assisted in the formation of The Carrickmacross Lace Co-operative, which maintains the tradition to this day. Its lace may be purchased at The Gallery Centre, where demonstrations of lacemaking may also be seen if arranged in advance.