Carlton Scroop is a small village and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 6 miles (10 km) north-east from the market town of Grantham and 4 miles (6 km) east from the village of Hougham. The A607 road to Lincoln passes through the centre of the village.
Carlton Scroop Grade I listed Anglican church is dedicated to St Nicholas. Parts of the fabric are Norman, although the most obvious features are Decorated. The east window, depicting two kneeling figures each holding a shield, is an example of 14th-century medieval stained glass. Called the Newmarch window it dates from 1310. The base of the tower is 12th-century and the upper part from 1632, constructed after the former steeple collapsed.
Following the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish subscribed to the Grantham Poor Law Union.
Carlton Scroop is situated below the Lincoln Cliff, an escarpment edge that separates the Lincolnshire Wolds from the Vale of Trent. On the Cliff, 1 mile (1.6 km) to the north, is the village of Normanton on Cliffe in the parish of Normanton.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.