Place:Capenhurst, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameCapenhurst
Alt namesCapelessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 52
TypeTownship, Village, Civil parish
Coordinates53.267°N 2.967°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoWirral (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1871
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part after 1871
Chester Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Capenhurst is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England and located at the bottom of the Wirral Peninsula to the south west of the town of Ellesmere Port. According to the 2001 Census, Capenhurst had a population of 237.

Capenhurst was a township in Shotwick, Cheshire, England of the Wirral Hundred and included parts of the hamlets of Dunkirk and Two Mills. The population was 147 in 1801, 148 in 1851, 159 in 1901 and 253 in 1951. http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3274 A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Capenhurst from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CAPENHURST, a township in Shotwick parish, and a chapelry in Shotwick and Neston parishes, Cheshire. The township lies on the Birkenhead railway, 2 miles NNW of Mollington station, and 5½ NNW of Chester. Acres: 1,173. Real property: £1,315. Population: 131. Houses: 25.
"The chapelry was constituted in 1859; and its Post Town is Sutton, under Chester. Population: 224. Houses: 40. Capenhurst Hall is the seat of the Rev. R. Richardson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value: £120. Patron, the Rev. R. Richardson. The church is recent."

Capenhurst became a civil parish in 1866 after being a township in Shotwick ancient parish. After 1894 it was part of Chester Rural District.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Capenhurst. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.