Calverton is a Nottinghamshire parish, of some , about seven miles north-east of Nottingham, situated, like nearby Woodborough, and Lambley, on a small tributary of the Dover Beck. The 2011 census found 7,076 inhabitants in 2,987 households. About two miles to the north of the village is the site of the possible deserted settlement of Salterford.
For most of its existence Calverton was a forest village, in that part of Sherwood known as Thorney Wood Chase, with a rural economy limited by a lack of grazing land, in which handicrafts (like woodworking and the knitting of stockings), must in consequence have assumed a more than usual importance. The parliamentary enclosure of 1780 brought some agrarian progress to the village, but it was not until the opening of a colliery by the National Coal Board in 1952, that the village began to assume its present identity, with new housing estates and population growth. In 1957 Colonel Frank Seely School, the main secondary school serving the area, opened. The colliery closed in 1999 and while a small industrial estate provided some local employment, Calverton has taken on the character of a large commuter village.
In May 1974 the village was officially twinned with , in the Loire valley of France .