Burnham Market is a village and civil parish near the north coast of Norfolk, England. Burnham Market is one of the Burnhams, a group of adjacent villages in North Norfolk. It is the result of the merger of three of the original Burnham villages, namely Burnham Sutton, Burnham Ulph and Burnham Westgate.
Burnham Market lies approximately 1 mile (2 km) inland, some 5 miles (8 km) west of Wells-next-the-Sea, 12 miles (19 km) east of Hunstanton and 10 miles (16 km) north of Fakenham. The smaller villages of Burnham Deepdale and Burnham Norton are within 2 miles (3 km) to the west and north of Burnham Market, whilst Burnham Overy and Burnham Thorpe are a similar distance to the east. North Creake is some 4 miles (6 km) to the south. The larger town of King's Lynn is 20 miles (30 km) to the south-west, whilst the city of Norwich is 30 miles (50 km) to the south-east.
The civil parish has an area of 18.43 km2 and in the 2001 census had a population of 948 in 496 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk.
Burnham Market is close to the mouth of the River Burn and the name Burnham probably derives from this. However another theory is that the town was a centre for the amber trade. As the name implies, historically Burnham had a market and was therefore considered a town, however that market was discontinued several years before 1854. Today Burnham Market is more normally considered a village, albeit one slightly larger and considerably busier than its immediate neighbours.
It is worth comparing the modern description from Wikipedia with that of John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 as provided by A Vision of Britain through Time: