Bredhurst is a village in Kent, that forms part of the Borough of Maidstone. Its population was 330 in 1990. There has been a settlement on the site of the present day Bredhurst since neolithic times because of fertile fields and the good wood supply.
Bredhurst manor dates from the time of King Edward III. It was bought by John of Gaunt in 1379 before King Richard II gave it to Simon de Burley in 1384. Burley lost the manor when he was accused of high treason in 1390.
By 1551, Sir Thomas Cheney was owner of the manor, followed by the Kemsley family later in the 16th century. Isabel Kemsley stipulated that her son John should hold 'a drinking' in the village on All Saints' Day and this tradition continued until the 19th century, when it was replaced with the more popular mayday celebrations.
The 19th century owners of the manor were the Romilly family, terminating when it was sold by the widow of the fourth Baron Romilly, William Guy Gospard Romilly (who died in 1983). It was later bought by a family who do not have a title, who sold off most of the grounds.
Bredhurst was a civil parish in Hollingbourne Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 has been part of the Maidstone non-metropolitan district. A Vision of Britain through Time reported that Bredhurst Civil Parish was a lower-level unit to Hollingbourne Civil Parish, but provided no explanation.