Brant Broughton (pronounced Brew-ton) is a small village in what has been since 1931 the Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe civil parish, in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It lies north of the A17 road and west of Leadenham, where the A17 crosses the A607 road. The River Brant flows to the east of the village, where it is joined by the Sand Beck. The name itself means 'Burnt fortified settlement', implying the place was burnt down at some point.
The village has a very wide main street with many of the houses dating back to the coaching days of the 18th and 19th centuries when many of the residents were based in London and used the village for their country retreats.
An unusual building in the village is the converted barn in Meeting House Lane, built in 1701. Used as a meeting house by the Quakers, it retains its original furnishings.
The Grade I listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Helen. Although restored between 1873 and 1876, it retains its 170 ft. high spire, an Early English nave, arcades and chancel arch, and Perpendicular vaulted porches and clerestory.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.