Place:Branscombe, Devon, England


NameBranscombe
Alt namesBranchescomasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 77
Branchescomesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 77
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates50.689°N 3.1397°W
Located inDevon, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Branscombe is an inhabited place. BRANSCOMBE

"BRANSCOMBE, a pleasant village, on the coast of the English channel, at the mouth of a rivulet, 5 miles E. by N. of Sidmouth, and S.W. of Colyton, has in its parish 956 souls, and 3422A. 3R. 18P. of land, including Dean and Weston hamlets, and many scattered houses. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are lords of the manor, owners of most of the soil, appropriators of the great tithes, and patrons of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £18. 15s. 10d., and in 1831 at £190, and now enjoyed by the Rev. S.H. Peppin, B.A., who has 10A. of glebe, and an ancient residence, mantled with ivy and vines. The great tithes were commuted in 1843, for £242, and the vicarial for £225 per annum. The Church (St. Winifred,) is a cruciform Gothic structure, with a tower and five bells. The Stuckey and Bartlett families were long seated at Weston Barton, as lessees of the manor; and Edge Barton was anciently the seat of the Branscombes, one of whom was sheriff of the county for five years, in the reign of Edward III. Many women and girls in this neighbourhood are employed in making lace, and here are quarries of excellent freestone. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]


Research Tips