- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bledington is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, about four miles south-east of Stow-on-the-Wold and six miles south-west of Chipping Norton. The 2001 UK census recorded a parish population of 503.
Bledington is on the River Evenlode, is close to the Gloucestershire-Oxfordshire boundary and is on the Oxfordshire Way.
Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire (1837 - 1937)
North Cotswold (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Article on Bledington from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county