Place:Bisley, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameBisley
Alt namesBiselegesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 111
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.75°N 2.133°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoBisley (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bisley is a village in Gloucestershire, England, approximately 4 miles (6 km) east of Stroud. The parish borders Stroud on the west and included the tything of Upper Lypiatt. (Lower Lypiatt was in Thrupp parish.) Since 1894 the civil parish has been named Bisley-with-Lypiatt. The manor was formerly extensive, including the parishes of Stroud, Chalford, and Thrupp, and the hamlets of Daneway, Oakridge, Througham and Eastcombe.

19th century descriptions

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bisley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BISLEY, a decayed small town, a parish, a subdistrict, and a hundred in Gloucester. The town stands 1¾ mile N of the Cheltenham and Great Western Union railway, in the neighbourhood of the Sapperton tunnel, and 3¼ miles E of Stroud. It has a post office under Stroud; is a polling-place; and long carried on a considerable manufacture of woollens, which now is nearly extinct. A weekly market used to be held on Thursday, but now is merely nominal. Fairs are held on May 4 and 12 Nov.
"The parish includes also the tythings of Averniss, Bidfield, Bussage, Chalford, Oakridge, Steanbridge, Througham, and Tunley. Acres: 8,033. Real property: £14,277. Population: 4,692. Houses: 1,166. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mortimers; and was held by Edward Duke of York, afterwards Edward IV. A common of 1,200 acres was given by Roger Mortimer, Earl of March, to the poor of the parish; but has been much curtailed by enclosure. Roman remains have been found at Custom-Scrubs; and a Roman pavement and vault at Lillythorne. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of France-Lynch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £527. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is decorated English, of the time of Edward IV.; was recently restored; and contains an ancient Norman font, a monument of a crusader, supposed to be one of the Nottingham family, and a brass of Catherine Sewell. A stone cross, believed to be of the 13th century, octagonal and finely panelled, is in the churchyard. The vicarages of Bussage, Chalford, and Oakridge are separate benefices. There are four dissenting chapels, endowed schools with £56, and other charities with £242.
"The [registration] subdistrict is conterminate with the parish; and is in the [registration] district of Stroud.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lypiatt from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LYPPIATT (LOWER and UPPER), two tythings in Stroud parish, Gloucester; near the canal and the Great Western railway, 2 miles E of Stroud. Population: 1,276 and 4,061. Lyppiatt Park belonged formerly to the Throgmortons; belongs now to J. E. Dorington, Esq.; and is said to have been the place where the Gunpowder plot was hatched."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bisley, Gloucestershire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!