|Alt names||Bilsuitone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 146|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Newchurch Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|East Ashford Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Ashford District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bilsington is a village and civil parish in the Ashford District of Kent, England. The village is about 5 miles (8 km) south of Ashford, on the B2067 Hamstreet to Hythe road north of the Royal Military Canal.
About of a quarter of the parish is wooded, along most of the northern slopes leading up to the escarpment of the High Weald. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 284.
Bilsington was originally an ancient parish in Newchurch Hundred and in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the East Ashford Rural District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Bilsington.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Bilsington, Kent, England | Newchurch Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | East Ashford Rural, Kent, England | Ashford District, Kent, England