Place:Berden, Essex, England

Watchers
NameBerden
Alt namesBerdanesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.933°N 0.117°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoStansted Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1934
Saffron Walden Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1934-1974
Uttlesford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Berden is a village and civil parish in Essex, England. It is situated approximately 6 miles (10 km) north from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire and 21 miles (34 km) north-west from the county town of Chelmsford. The village is in the district of Uttlesford. According to the 2001 census Berden had a population of 427.

Berden was part of Clavering Hundred and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as a location with four villagers and five smallholders.

The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas Church. Berden Hall dates to the 1580s, although a manor and Berden Priory existed here in medieval times.

The parish was part of Stansted Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when it was transferred to Saffron Walden Rural District. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Berden. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.