Place:Bayswater, Middlesex, England

Watchers
NameBayswater
TypeDistrict
Located inMiddlesex, England
Also located inGreater London, England    
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Bayswater is an area of west inner London, within the City of Westminster. It is a built-up district located 3 miles (4.8 km) west-north-west of Charing Cross, bordering the north of Hyde Park and having a population density of 17,500 per square kilometre.

Bayswater is one of London's most cosmopolitan areas, wherein a diverse local population is augmented by a high concentration of hotels. In addition to the native English, there is a significant Arab population towards Edgware Road, a large Greek community (attracted by St Sophia's Cathedral, Moscow Road – London's Greek Orthodox Cathedral), many U.S. people and London's main Brazilian community.

The area has attractive streets and garden squares lined with Victorian stucco terraces, mostly now subdivided into flats and boarding houses. The property ranges from very expensive apartments to small studio flats. There are also purpose-built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments, and a large council estate, the 650-flat Hallfield Estate, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and now largely sold off.

Queensway and Westbourne Grove are its busiest main streets, both having many ethnic-cuisine restaurants.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The land now called Bayswater belonged to the Abbey of Westminster when the Domesday Book was compiled; the most considerable tenant under the abbot was Bainiardus, probably the same Norman associate of the Conqueror who gave his name to Baynard's Castle. The descent of the land held by him cannot be clearly traced: but his name long remained attached to part of it; and, as late as the year 1653, a parliamentary grant of the Abbey or Chapter lands describes "the common field at Paddington" as being "near a place commonly called Baynard's Watering." In 1720, the lands of the Dean and Chapter are described to be the occupation of Alexander Bond, of Bear's Watering, in the same parish of Paddington. It may therefore fairly be concluded that this portion of ground, always remarkable for its springs of excellent water, once supplied water to Baynard, his household, or his cattle; that the memory of his name was preserved in the neighbourhood for six centuries; and that his watering-place now takes the abbreviated name Bayswater.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bayswater. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.