Place:Bassingham, Lincolnshire, England

Watchers


NameBassingham
Alt namesBasingehamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 168
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates53.133°N 0.633°W
Located inLincolnshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia


Bassingham is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. The village is situated approximately south-west from the city and county town of Lincoln. Bassingham population is 1308.

Bassingham is situated about mid-way between Newark-on-Trent and Lincoln. The parish is defined by the River Witham to the west, and the River Brant to the east (across Bassingham Fen). To the south-west is Carlton-le-Moorland.

A Ham class minesweeper, HMS Bassingham, was named after the village.

The church of St. Michael and all Angels dates from the 12th century. The church is in the Bassingham Group of seven churches.

In 1998 the church added a seventh bell: the ship’s bell from HMS Bassingham, presented by her former commander after she was decommissioned. It hangs in a mahogany bell hood in the north aisle and is rung to signal the start of Sunday worship.

Bassingham has two public houses, the Bugle Horn and the Five Bells, a primary school, and a Methodist chapel.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bassingham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.