Carlton-le-Moorland is a small village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated between the city and county town of Lincoln and the town of Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire. The nearest adjacent villages are Norton Disney, Brant Broughton and Bassingham. Its population was 450 in the UK census of 2001.
The parish church is a Grade I listed building dedicated to St. Mary and dating from the 11th century, although the nave and tower were rebuilt in the late 16th century. The church was restored 1890-91 by C. Hodgson Fowler, and the font is 12th-century. Outside, the lychgate is Grade II listed, and was erected in 1918 as a war memorial.
The Knights Templar and a monastic order owned lands in and around the parish in the Middle Ages. Eventually the Disney family who had the their main branch of the family in Norton Disney took ownership of estates with the ending of the monastic holdings locally in the 16th century. There are Disney family members buried in the church. There also used to be a manor house opposite the church, which was at one time lived in by the Disney family before they moved to Sommerton Castle.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.