- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Barnsley is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold district of Gloucestershire, England, north-east of Cirencester. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 162. Barnsley is west of London.
- the following text is based on the History section of the article in Wikipedia
The Domesday Book recorded the village's population at 24. After becoming known as Barndesley in 1197, the village became royal property under the reign of Henry VIII three hundred years later. Henry was known to let each of his wives solely enjoy the village by turns. During the time of the village's status as royal property, many of its inhabitants earned their living through agriculture and sheep, helping make the Cotswolds the centre of the wool trade.
The Bouchier family became the owners of the village in 1548 and held it for the next two hundred years. The family is responsible for building the village's lasting Barnsley House, Church Cottage and parts of the Church farm.
The village architecture was expanded during 1810-1820 when new cottages were built along the Cirencester-Bibury road. Barnsley's population peaked in 1821 at 318 and during World War I, the village had an estimated 200 inhabitants, of which six lost their lives during the war years of 1914-18.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Barnsley, Gloucestershire, England