- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Barnsley is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, northeast of Cirencester. According to the 2001 UK census it had a population of 162. Barnsley village is 80 miles (129 km) west of London.
The Domesday Book recorded the village's population at 24. After becoming known as "Barndesley" in 1197, the village became royal property under the reign of Henry VIII three hundred years later. Henry was known to let each of his wives solely enjoy the village by turns. During the time of the village's status as royal property, many of its inhabitants earned their living through agriculture and sheep, helping make the Cotswolds the centre of the wool trade.
The Bouchier family became the owners of the village in 1548 and held it for the next two hundred years. The family is responsible for building the village's lasting Barnsley House, Church Cottage and parts of the Church farm.
The village architecture was expanded during 1810-1820 when new cottages were built along the Cirencester-Bibury road. Barnsley's population peaked in 1821 at 318 and during World War I, the village had an estimated 200 inhabitants, of which six lost their lives during the war years of 1914-18.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 7/Brightwells Barrow hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Gloucestershire Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Gloucestershire in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Gloucestershire in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. The compiler has gone to a lot of work to provide this material. Respect his copyright.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- English Jurisdictions, a supplementary website to FamilySearch outlining local parish boundaries in the middle on the 19th century. The information provided is especially useful for establishing the relationship of the ecclesiastical parishes in large towns and cathedral cities.
- Ancestry UK has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)