|Alt names||Berlai||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 136|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hertfordshire, England|
|See also||Edwinstree Hundred, Hertfordshire, England||hundred in which it was located until 1841|
|Odsey Hundred, Hertfordshire, England||hundred in which it was located after 1841|
|Ashwell Rural, Hertfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Hitchin Rural, Hertfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1935-1974|
|North Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Barley is a village and civil parish in the district of North Hertfordshire in Hertfordshire, England. According to the 2001 UK census, it has a population of 659. The place-name refers to a lea or meadow and not to the grain-producing plant. To the southwest lies the village and parish of Reed. The Prime Meridian passes to the west of Barley.
Located on the Royston to Saffron Walden road, as well as the medieval London to Cambridge road, Barley has a church with a 12th-century Norman tower, and dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch. The church was rebuilt in 1872 using designs by William Butterfield retaining only the tower and the fourth aisle.
Barley was transferred from Edwinstree Hundred to Odsey Hundred in 1841.
Categories: Hertfordshire, England | Barley, Hertfordshire, England | Edwinstree Hundred, Hertfordshire, England | Odsey Hundred, Hertfordshire, England | Ashwell Rural, Hertfordshire, England | Hitchin Rural, Hertfordshire, England | North Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, England