Place:Baconsthorpe, Norfolk, England

Watchers


NameBaconsthorpe
Alt namesTorpsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 186
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.884°N 1.152°E
Located inNorfolk, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Baconsthorpe is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is 6 km south-east of Holt, 8 km south of Sheringham and 32 km north of Norwich.

The civil parish has an area of 5.53 km² and in the 2001 census had a population of 232 in 105 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.

The ruins of the 15th-century Baconsthorpe Castle lie about one mile (1.6 km) to the north of the village. The medieval Anglican church of St Mary was restored in 1868 and 1958. It contains interesting monuments from the 15th-18th centuries and some 16th-century glass saved from the castle.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Baconsthorpe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.