- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Babingley is a hamlet and abandoned village in Norfolk, about 1 mile (1.6 km) northwest of Castle Rising and 5 1⁄2 miles (9 km) north-north-east of King's Lynn.
It was a separate parish but is now part of the civil parish of Sandringham. The modern hamlet is a small group of houses in the A149 road linking King's Lynn and Hunstanton. The site of the abandoned village is in fields west of the main road, marked by the ruin of St Felix's parish church.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Babingley was absorbed into the parish of Sandringham in 1935. The following extract from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 is provided by
A Vision of Britain through Time
- "BABINGLEY, or Baburghley, a parish in Freebridge-Lynn [registration] district, Norfolk; on a rivulet of its own name, near Lynn-Deeps, 1½ mile S of Wolferton [railway] station. Post Town: Castle-Rising under Lynn. Acres: 849. Real property: £924. Population: 67. Houses: 12. The first Christian church in East Anglia was erected here; and several hills in the neighbourhood are called Christian Hills. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Sandringham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church has a nave and a tower; but its chancel is ruined."
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Babingley. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901