- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Aylburton is a village and civil parish in the Forest of Dean district of Gloucestershire, England, on the A48 road about two miles south-west of Lydney. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 689.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Aylburton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "AYLBURTON, a tything in Lydney parish, Gloucester; about a mile W of Lydney. It has a post office under Lydney. Population: 604. Houses: 106. It forms a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Lydney; and its church was rebuilt in 1857."
"Aylburton developed separate institutions of parish government and assumed the status of a civil parish in the late 19th century, while remaining a chapelry of Lydney." (Source:British History Online on Lydney)
Chepstow (1837 - 1937)
Forest of Dean (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Aylburton. Refer to Lydney in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5/Bledisloe hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county