Place:Aveley, Essex, England

Watchers
NameAveley
Alt namesAltheleasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
Aluieleasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
Auileiasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
TypeTown, Civil parish
Coordinates51.502°N 0.267°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoOrsett Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1912
Purfleet, Essex, Englandurban district of which West Thurrock was a part 1921-1936
Thurrock, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1936-1974
Thurrock (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Aveley is a small town within the Thurrock District in Essex, England (a unitary authority since 1998) and one of the traditional (Church of England) parishes in Thurrock. It is a suburban development located 16.3 miles (26.2 km) east of Charing Cross (a point of measurement for the centre of London) and within the eastern bounds of the M25 motorway. Aveley is roughly bounded to the north and west by the London Borough of Havering, to the south by the A13 road and to the east by the M25 motorway. The estimated population from the 2011 UK census was 9,000.

The parish was part of the Orsett Rural District from 1894 until 1912, Purfleet Urban District from 1921 until 1936, and the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998).

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Aveley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"AVELEY, a village and a parish in Orsett [registation] district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the Purfleet station of the Tilbury railway, near the Thames, 7 miles SE of Romford. It has a post office under Romford, and a fair on Easter-Monday; and was formerly a market town. The parish comprises 2,934 acres of land, and 105 of water. Real property: £5,944. Population: 930. Houses: 195. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £266. Patron: the Bishop. The church is very old. There are an Independent chapel and a national school."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Aveley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.