The town was first mentioned in 1059 as Albertivillare, meaning "estate of Adalbert". On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris was enlarged by annexing neighboring communes. On that occasion, a small part of the commune of Aubervilliers was annexed to the city of Paris. At the same time, the commune of La Chapelle-Saint-Denis was disbanded and divided between the city of Paris, Aubervilliers, Saint-Denis, and Saint-Ouen. Aubervilliers received a small part of the territory of La Chapelle-Saint-Denis.