Place:Ashton under Hill, Gloucestershire, England

NameAshton under Hill
Alt namesAshton-under-Hillsource: alternate spelling
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates52.04°N 2.01°W
Located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1931)
Also located inWorcestershire, England     (1931 - )
See alsoTewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which part of the parish was located
Tibaldstone Hundred, Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which part of the parish was located
Beckford, Gloucestershire, Englandecclesiastical parish of which Ashton under Hill was a chapelry
Pebworth Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1931
Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1931-1974
Wychavon District, Worcestershire, Englanddistrict municipality of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

Ashton under Hill was transferred from Gloucestershire to Worcestershire in 1931. While in Gloucestershire it was part of Pebworth Rural District. It was then transferred to the Evesham Rural District in Worcestershire.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ashton under Hill is a village and civil parish, since 1974, in the Wychavon District of Worcestershire, England. It is situated at the foot of Bredon Hill. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 743, and is situated about five miles south-west of Evesham.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ashton under Hill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ASHTON-UNDER-HILL, a parish in the [registration] district of Evesham, and county of Gloucester; on the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, with a [railway] station, 5 miles SW of Evesham. Post Town, Beckford, under Tewkesbury. Acres: 1,300. Real property: £2,475. Population: 411. Houses: 93. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol."

Ashton under Hill was originally a "chapelry" in Beckford but became a separate civil parish in 1866 if not before.

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ashton under Hill. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.