- source: Family History Library Catalog
Beckford was transferred from Gloucestershire to Worcestershire in 1931.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Beckford is a small village on the main Cheltenham to Evesham Road, five miles northeast of Tewkesbury, on the Worcestershire—Gloucestershire border.
The village straddles the A46 and is one of the villages at the foot of Bredon Hill. The Carrant Brook runs between Beckford and Little Beckford and there was a ford across the brook which gave rise to the original name. There is no link between the village of Beckford and the family with the name of Beckford who are considered to be among the original Jamaican slaveowners. The village is known for its silk printing factory which attracts tourists through its workshop tours and demonstrations.
Beckford had a population of 602 according to the 2001 UK census.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Beckford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BECKFORD, a village and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village stands near the Ash-church and Evesham railway, 7 miles SW of Evesham; and has a [railway] station, and a post office under Tewkesbury. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bangrove, Didcote, and Grafton. Acres: 2,650. Real property: £2,454. Population: 473. Houses: 103. The property is divided among a few. Beckford Hall is the seat of Hattil Foll, Esq. The manor was given, in the time of Henry I, to the Abbey of St. Martin in Normandy; and passed, after the suppression [of the monasteries], first to Eton college, next to Fotheringhay, next to Sir Richard Lee. The living is a vicarage, united to the [perpetual] curacy of Aston-under-Hill, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £317. Patron, the Rev. Dr. Timbrill. The church is Norman, was recently restored, and has a lofty tower, crowned with pinnacles. Charities, £47."
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire available online on the website British History Online. It contains histories of the parishes of the lower divisions of the hundreds of Tewkesbury and Westminster, as well as those of Tibaldstone (named Tibblestone).