Place:Ashburton, Devon, England

Watchers
NameAshburton
Alt namesEssebretonasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 76
Essebretonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 76
TypeTown, Urban district
Coordinates50.517°N 3.75°W
Located inDevon, England
See alsoTeignbridge Hundred, Devon, Englandhundred in which Ashburton was located
Teignbridge District, Devon, Englanddistrict municipality of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ashburton is a small town on the south-southeastern edge of Dartmoor in Devon, adjacent to the A38.

It was formerly important as a stannary town (a centre for the administration of tin-mining), and remains the largest town within the National Park, with a population of around 3,800.

Ashburton was the main town of the Parish of Ashburton, in Teignbridge Hundred. During the English Civil War, Ashburton was a temporary refuge for Royalist troops fleeing after their defeat by General Fairfax at nearby Bovey Tracey.

Ashburton was an urban district from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been part of the Teignbridge District of Devon.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ashburton, Devon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.