|Alt names||Ash Vale||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Surrey, England|
|See also||Godley Hundred, Surrey, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Ash and Normandy, Surrey, England||parish renamed circa 1880|
|Guildford Rural, Surrey, England||rural district joined by the parish when separated from Normandy in 1955|
|Guildford District, Surrey, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ash from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ASH, a village in Farnborough [registration] district, and a parish in Farnborough [registration] and Farnham [registration] districts, Surrey. The village stands near the Southwestern railway, the Basingstoke canal, and the Blackwater river, 2 miles NW of Hog's Back, and 4 NE of Farnham; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Farnborough station. The parish includes also the tything of Normandy, and the hamlet-chapelry of Frimley. Acres: 12,273. Rated property: £15,443. Population: 4,164. Houses: 753. The property is much subdivided. The southern tracts are hilly, and party common. Ash Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £473. Patron: Winchester college. The church has a plain Norman doorway, and is good. The rectory of Frimley and the [perpetual] curacy of York-Town are separate charges. Charities, £16."
From some time in the late 19th century [no date has been found], the parish was renamed Ash and Normandy. Under this name it is to be found in lists of parishes within the rural districts of Farnham (1894-1933) and Guildford (1933-1955). In 1955 Ash and Normandy was separated into two parishes: Ash and Normandy.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ash is a village and civil parish in the far west of the Borough of Guildford, Surrey. Ash is on the eastern side of the River Blackwater, with a railway station on the Reading-Guildford-Gatwick line, and direct roads to Aldershot, Farnham and Guildford. The 2011 census counted the residents of the main ward of Ash, which excludes Ash Vale, as 6,120.
Frimley has also been considered a separated civil parish from the late 19th century and is located immediately to the north of Ash. York-Town or Yorktown is located in Frimley. Ash Vale is a 20th century settlement to the east of Ash.
The Victoria County History account of Ash explains a great deal about the early organization of this parish and its relationship to other places in the neighbourhood which have become separate parishes since 1866.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online