|Alt names||Loseley Park||source: from redirect|
|Guildford St. Nicholas||source: alternate spelling|
|Littleton||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Surrey, England ( - 1908)|
|See also||Godalming Hundred, Surrey, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Guildford St. Nicolas, Surrey, England||ecclesiastical parish from which it was formed in 1894|
|Guildford Rural, Surrey, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Guildford District, Surrey, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Artington was formed as a civil parish in 1894. Formerly it was a tything in the ecclesiastical and civil parish of Guildford St. Nicolas which covered part of Guildford, Surrey as well as the rural area to the town's southwest.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Artington encompasses several farms on the west bank of the River Wey from 1 mile (1.6 km) to 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Guildford town centre, above the ford which gave Guildford its name. It is crossed by the North Downs Way and Portsmouth Road. It contains Loseley Park, a country estate with dairy and the hamlet of Littleton. The 2011 UK census gave a population of 359 for the parish, an increase of more than 10% over 10 years.
Artington Manor was granted to the More family (later More-Molyneux family) who still own and run Loseley Park. Braboeuf Manor is a now the campus of The College of Law and, having much greater lands including Millmead, Guildford. It was held first by Stephen de Turnham (died 1214), who assigned part to his daughter Alice de Bendeng. It was then was held for centuries by various listed descendants named de Braboeuf, and then further named family relatives.
Guildford St. Nicolas
Guildford St. Nicolas [note spelling, re-directed here] was one of the ecclesiastical parishes of Guildford that also became a civil parish in 1837 (when civil registration began across England and Wales). It retained this status until 1908 when Guildford took responsibility for civil registration within its boundaries. However, part of it was hived off to create the parish of Artington in 1894.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online