Alvington is a village and civil parish since 1974 in the Forest of Dean District in Gloucestershire, England, situated on the A48 road, six miles north-east of Chepstow in Wales. The parish has a total population of 484. (Date of census or estimate not given.)
Alvington was one of a number of hamlets dotted along the River Severn, following the former Roman road leading from Newnham-on-Severn to Chepstow. The manor of Alvington is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name ‘Alwintune’, then part of the Herefordshire hundred of Bromsash, held by Turstin FitzRolf. During the 12th century, Alvington joined Gloucestershire as part of the Bledisloe hundred, and became a separate parish. During the late Middle Ages Alvington parish and manor were under the ownership of Llanthony Priory (in Gloucester) which was dissolved in 1539. The lord of the manor’s seat was situated in Clanna Falls around one mile from the village. In its history Alvington, has variously boasted two smithies, a small brewery, a small engineering works and several shops.
Alvington’s population has varied between 300 and 500 since the mid-19th century. The village lies at the edge of the Forest of Dean, which was once an important coal producing area. There is a strong agricultural influence in the village today, although historically this would have been more evident.
Online sources which may also be helpful: