Alveston in South Gloucestershire, England, is a village, civil parish and former manor now inhabited by about 3000 people. The village lies about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Thornbury and approximately 10 miles (16 km) north of Bristol. Alveston is the gateway to the first Severn Bridge both from the A38 road and from Thornbury. The civil parish also includes the villages of Rudgeway and Earthcott.
The ruins of Alveston Old Church of St Helens is situated in Rudgeway, south of the modern village of Alveston, along the A38. The separate parish of Alveston was not formed until 1846, before which time Alveston manor was within the parish of Olveston. Following the development and growth of the modern village of Alveston some distance away from the manor house and the Church of St. Helen next door to it, it was determined by the village authorities to build a new church, again dedicated to St Helen, nearer to the new village. The old church fell into disuse and decay, and today only the tower and south aisle wall remain standing, although the structure has been restored
In the 19th century, the village of Alveston was centred on Church Farm, on the lane leading from Rudgeway to Iron Acton. Some people consider the modern Alveston to be centred on the Ship Inn. The Ship Inn at Alveston is an old Coaching House which dates back to 1589. In the 19th century, the area around the Ship Inn was known as Alveston Green.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Alveston. There is a long section titled "The Descent of the Manor" following the local manor through its various ownerships from the Domesday Book (1086) forward.
Online sources which may also be helpful: