- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also a place named Alstone near Cheltenham, further south in the county.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Alstone is a hamlet now in the civil parish of Teddington in the English county of Gloucestershire. Despite being a hamlet Atstone was a civil parish from 1866 until 1935 when it was absorbed into Teddington parish. Before 1866 it was in the parish of Overbury in Worcestershire.
Until 1844 Alstone was part of an exclave of the county of Worcestershire.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Alstone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALSTONE, a chapelry in Overbury parish, Gloucester; 3½ miles ESE of Tewkesbury [railway] station, and 4½ NW of Winchcomb. Post Town, Tewkesbury. Acres, with Little Washbourne: 1,060. Rated property: £690. Population: 96. Houses: 20. The property is divided among a few. The living is a curacy, united to the vicarage of Overbury, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is very dilapidated."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county