Facts and Events
William McBride was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 302.--4th May, 1767. Sampson and George Mathews, executors of John Mathews, to William McBride. John in his lifetime sold to William Bradshaw 306 acres in forks of James River and by his will directed his executors to make deed for same, and Bradshaw relinquishes his purchase in favor of William McBride, £70 paid to John and £80 paid to executors. 306 acres, corner John Mathews.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 513.--15th August, 1769. William McBride and Martha to Edward Erwin, £50, 152 acres in Forks of James, part of tract belonging to William. Delivered: James Todd, 22d June, 1772.
- McBride, William. Written: 10-3-1781, Proved: 1-21-1783. Leg.: wife Martha, sons William, Lapsley; daus., Sarah, Martha, Elizabeth, Mary. Exrs.: wife, John Lapsley, James Davis. Est.: slaves from Hubbert Taylor, land for John Mclntire, etc. [Lincoln County, Kentucky Will Book 1, Page 7].
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 449.--1767-68: Processioned by James Simpson and John Mitchell: For John Mitchel, John Thompson, James Dreaddon, David Dreaddon, John Davis, Arthur McClure, John Walker, Benj. Wattson, James McGavock, Robert Whittla, Alexander Beggs, John Murray, William Mathews, Richd. Mathews, James Willson, John Poage, Charles Allison, James Gilmore, Wm. Crawford, Robt. Miller, Jno. White, John Gillmore, John Paxton, George Salling, John Hickman, Wm. McBride, James Simpson.
Records of William McBride in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 22, 1765. - (345) Power of attorney from Mary, Joseph and Rosanna McBride to Wm. McBride--certified. (Note: William McBride was apparently the elder brother of Mary, Joseph and Rosanna McBride).
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1765 - October 17, William McBride (bride's name not listed).
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1766. - (224) Joseph McBride, aged 19, orphan of Thomas McBride, chose Wm. McBride his guardian.
- Page 491.--17th March, 1767. James Davis' bond (with Wm. McBride, Jno. Thompson) as administrator of John Cryton (Carington).
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1767. - (485) Road by William McBride's shop.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1767. - (216) James Casaty to be bound to Michael Kirkham. Patrick Casaty to be bound to Wm. McBride.
- Vol. 2 - Page 397.--17th March, 1768: Pat. Cashady, orphan, bound to Wm. McBride.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 17, 1768. - (507) Hemp certificates: James Laird, Wm. McBride.
- Page 190.--16th November, 1768. Archer Mathews to William Mathews, £100, his part of 299 acres willed to William and Archer by John Mathews, Sr., deceased, in Forks of James, on Mill Creek, corner Richard Mathews, William McBride's line; corner John Murry; corner tract belonging to John Mathews, Jr.'s heirs. Delivered: William Mathews, 18th March, 1771.
Information on William McBride
From "The Register of Kentucky State Historical Society", pg. 65:
- Stephen Arnold married Martha Lapslie McBride, daughter of Col. William McBride, who was killed at the Battle of Blue Lick Springs, on Monday, August 19, 1782, and whose name is inscribed on the State monument at Frankfort, Ky. Harlan and McBride were leaders of the van, and were the first of the brave and dauntless band of Kentuckyians to fall in that desperate, but hopeless, battle, a full account of which is given in Marshall's History of Kentucky; also in Collins' History.
William McBride (b. 05 Jan 1743/44, d. 19 Aug 1782)
William McBride (son of Thomas McBride and Sarah Priestly)1655, 1655 was born 05 Jan 1743/44 in Rockbridge Co./now Fauquier Co., VA, and died 19 Aug 1782 in Blue Licks, Nicholas, KY1655, 1655, 1655, 1655. He married Martha Lapsley on 17 Oct 1765 in Rockbridge Co., VA, daughter of Joseph Lapsley and Sarah Woods.
Notes for William McBride:
Birth: VA 5 Jan 1745
Rank: Capt Civil Service
Death: VA 19 Aug 1782
Patriot Pensioned: No Widow Pensioned: No
Children Pensioned: No Heirs Pensioned: No
Spouse: (1) Martha Lapsley
Will is in Will Book I 1780-1791, Book A, page 7 and written 3 Oct 1781 I-2101783, Probated 21 Jan 1783, Book B, page 81. Estate of William McBride recorded 13 Nov 1790. William McBride was a slaveholder. Slaves from Hubert Taylor.
More About William McBride:
Date born 2: Faquier Augusta, Virginia, USA.1655
Date born 3: 05 Jan 1743/44, Faquier, Augusta, Virginia, USA.1655
Date born 4: Abt. 1749, Fauquier Co, VA.
Military service: Captain in Civil Service Rev. War.
More About William McBride and Martha Lapsley:
Marriage: 17 Oct 1765, Augusta, Virginia, USA.
Children of William McBride and Martha Lapsley are:
+Martha Lapsley McBride, b. 18 Oct 1775, VA, d. 10 Jan 1850, Cedar Run, Franklin Co., KY.