- William Blairabt 1738 - bef 1788
Facts and Events
William Blair was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Estate Records of William Blair
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 19, 1788. - (456) Estate of Wm. Blair, deceased, granted his relict, Elizabeth Blair.
Will of Wife Elizabeth
- Page 58.--13th June, 1793. Elizabeth Blair's will, of Staunton--To grandson, Robert Hartgrove; to Mrs. Jane Hall, as compensation for services and kindness in last illness. Executors, Alex. Humphreys and Archibald Stuart. Teste: G. Christian, John Bowyer, Robt. Douthat. Proved, June Court, 1793, by Christian and Bowyer. Executors qualify.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 16, 1779 - (143) Grand Jury presentments for retailing liquors without license, viz: Col. Sampson Mathews, Daniel Kidd, Wm. Thomas, David Griner, Patrick McDavid, George Smith, Valentine Cloninger, Thomas Colony, Edward Brookbank, Thomas Price, John Alexander, John Anderson, John Blair, William Burk, John Burk, James Hill, Robert Reed, Alex. Kilpatrick, Euphemia Hughes, Anthony Mustae, Jacob Grass, Elizabeth Hartgrove, Arthur Conoly, William Blair, John Hind, William Kyle, Abel Griffith, Enos Jones, Valentine Shirley, Peter Caphart, Andrew Scott, James Langsby, Robert Gregg, Thomas Poage, Jane Wallis, John McClenachan, John Black, Mary Tees, Thomas Smith, David Bell, Henry Swink, John Ramsey and William Foster.
- Page 164.--20th May, 1780. John Archer's will--To wife, Rebecca; to brother, Sampson Archer; to sister, Elizabeth Stuart; to William Blair's daughter, Rebecca; to John Blayr, son of my friend William Blair; to Mary Ross, wife of Robert Ross; to the poor, whether friends or strangers, remainder of estate. Executors. John' Poage, Robert Armstrong. Teste: William Clunie, William Blear, James Anderson, John Richey.
- Vol. 2 - SINGLE PAPER, Vol. 2 - Archer's Executors vs. Poage's Executors.--Single package. Receipt, 28th May, 1781, by William Blair to Robert Armstrong, for £4, 3, 6, in full of legacy to William's daughter, by John Archer. (Note: relates to record above),
- Page 126.--14th April, 1791. Martha Downey, wife to Samuel Downey, deceased, Samuel Downey and Rachel to John Shuye of Washington County, Maryland, tract willed by Samuel to his son. Samuel, 2d January, 1773, in Beverley Manor; corner land laid off for William Blair and John Wilson; corner William Downey. Teste: Patrick Buchanan, Robert Donaldson, Godlib Harfman, Augustine Argenbright.
Sometimes confused with William Blair (b. 1741, d. 1803), son of Alexander Blair and Jane Preston Scott, who married Margaret Brown.
Information on William Blair
Possibly this William Blair?
MARCH, 1787 (A to C). - Samuel Anderson vs. William Blair.--Writ, 24th June, 1785. William Blair (Black Tavern). William had a son, James.
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).
Help fund new features!