William Beard, of Cub Run, Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
William Beard was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 180.--19th February, 1746. Alexander Thompson to William Beard, £16 current money Virginia; on south branch Shanando, known by the name of Cave Bottom; Alexander Thompson's ford; next to the Great Mountain; Cave Hill; 100 acres, part of tract patented to Alexander, 13th July, 1742. Witnesses, Alexander Thompson, James Beard, John Edwards. Acknowledged, 19th February, 1746.
- Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY. - 1746, May 19th--William Beard, 100 acres, joining the land he now lives on, between the same and the river.
- Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1750-51, February 28th--Wm. Beard, 200 (acres), Frame's Meadow, joining his own land--c. g. e. p.
- Page 203.--Gabriel Jones and Lewis Neil, of Frederick, executors of Wm. McMachen, late of same place, Gent., to William Beard, 400 acres on Cub Run of So. River Shanando, west side Peaked Mountain, patent to Wm., 12th January, 1746. Wm. died testate.
- Page 446.--25th August, 1784. Immanuel ( ) Harless, of Montgomery County, to William Beard. Delivered to Isaac Darnell by a written order from Wililam Beard and commission of privy examination 22d November, 1788, 40 acres patented to Archibald Hamilton and was finally conveyed to Philip Harless, deceased, 400 acres patented to Philip 27th August, 1770, and devised to Immanuel by Philip, his father.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 360.--14th July, 1753. William Beard and Mary to Robert Frazer, South Branch Shanando, known as Cave Bottom, part of large tract patented to Alex. Thompson, 13th July, 1742, and sold to Beard; Alex. Thompson's Ford, Cave Hill, 100 acres. Teste: Robert Hoop, Robert Ralstone. James Beard.
- Page 120.--30th May, 1755. Wm. Beard and Mary (signature) Beard to Robert Bellsher, £30, 220 acres on the Island Draft of North River, Shanado, by patent, 10th February, 1748. Mary (signature) Beard. Teste: Samuel Lockhart and James and Edward Beard.
- Page 697.--21st August, 1764. William Beard and Mary ( ) to James Bellshie, £30. 219-1/2 acres on the island draft of North River Shanando by patent, 10th February, 1748. Teste: Joseph Bell, John Ralstone, Mathew McDowell.
- Page 160.--22d November, 1769. William Beard and Mary ( ) to Jacob Bowyer, £400, 2 tracts on Cub Run on west side Peaked Mountain Delivered: Geo. Keesle, 16th March, 1781.
Will of William Beard
- Page 250.--26th June, 1813. William Beard's will--To all children; to grandson, Thomas Beard; to grandson, Thomas Beard; to son Samuel Beard's son William. Executors, Joseph Beard, Wm. Sproul. Teste: James Hay, John McKee, Samuel H. McNutt. Proved, 26th May, 1817. Executors qualify.
Processioning List of 1756 & 60
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 177.--1756: Processioned by Robert Hook and Pat. Frazier, viz: For Edward Beard, for Margt. Laburn, for James Craig, for Gasper Vought, for James Craig (same as above), for Henry Pirkey, for Mathew Thompson, for Andrew Leeper, for Henry Leaburn, for John Bell Vought, for John Stevenson, for Wm. Beard, for Archibald Huston.
- Vol. 2 - 1760--Page 1, William Beard, Borden Land; page 6, Mary Soop, or Swoob, administration Soop's estate; page 8, John Boswell, Hanover; page 9, Barbara Evick, late Wingard, sale Bill Wingard's estate; page 10, Stephen Gurod, alias Conrad; page 16, Thomas Parsons, Hampshire; page 17, William Beard, Peaked Mountain; page 23, Samuel Wilson, O. Keeper; page 30, Doctor John Sutherland; page 38, John Davis, pedler; page 41, James Fowler, near Craven's; page 42, Doctor Thos. Lloyd; page 48, Mat. Glaves, too poor; page 52, John Stuart, pedler, 3 threads surety; page 59, Thos. Thompson, Pastures; page 60, William Long, South River; page 78, James Young, taylor; page 79, Andrew Russell, widow's son; page 82, Jane Logan, Recording Fruit's Inventory.
- Page 276.--1760: Processioned in Capt. Moore's Company by John Stephson, Nathaniel Evins: For Nathaniel Evins, for Wm. McCreerey, for Thos. Willson, for John Stevenson, for John McClung, for Wm. McClung, for Alex. Moore, for Adam Reed, for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Paris, for Thomas Bard, for John Cunningham, for Mathew Huston, for John Mountgumery, for Wm. Moore, for Wm. Lockridge, for Thomas Boyd, for John Boyd, for Thomas Hill, for Robert Ware (Wire), for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Beard, for Wm. Wardlaw, for Andrew Steel, for James Steel, for Joseph Kennedy, for John Lowry, for Samuel Huston, for James Eakins, for John Hanly, for John Logan, for Alex. Logan, for Alex. McNutt, for James McNutt, for John Rosman, for Andrew Dunkin, for John Wardlaw, for Wm. McCanless, for James Cowdan, for John Moore. (Note: this appears to be a processioning list for the Borden Tract, likely a duplicate listing of the previous record in 1760).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:(unless otherwise listed)
- Page 445.--10th August, 1753. Margaret Love (alias Bryan) to James Mitchell, mortgage or personalty to indemnify Mitchell against a judgment vs. him in County Court, Augusta, as surety (special bail) for Joseph Lane, absuit of James Dean, merchant. Teste: James Campbell and Wm. Bryan, Wm. Beard.
- Page 123.--19th November, 1755. Edward Hall's bond as guardian to Daniel Plummer, orphan of Robert Plummer, with sureties John Ramsey, Wm. Beard.
- Page 494.--27th September, 1757. David ( ) Dunlap to Hugh Beard, £29, 170 acres in Borden's tract; Jno. Cunningham's line; cor. Wm. Lockridge. Teste: Wm. Lockridge, Jno. Lowry, Thos. Hill, Wm. Beard. Delivered: Hugh Beard, February, 1779.
- Page 358.--8th February, 1759. Vendue of John Wingord's (Vinegard) estate--To Henry Colar, Christopher Kishlinger, Christopher Wingord, Ludwick Francisco, Augustine Price, Tetrach Couch, Conrad Bloze, Frederick Ermantrout, Jacob Nicholas, Margt. Wilmouth, Brice Russell, Alvenus Byar, Jacob Parsinger, Charles Man, Nicholas Millberry, Jno. Craig, Danl. Price, Jno. Fuge, Jacob Man, Henry Perkey, Nicholas Null, Jas. Laird, Charles Ty (Fy?), Paslin Hover, Valentine Cough, Valentine Cook, Valentine Pence, Robt. Scott, Jacob Man, Stephen Conrad, Christian Tetrach, Valentine Butcher, Peter Herman, Wm. Beard, John Couch.
- Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY. - 1750, September 23d--John Casper Fought, 300, joining Robert Scott's and William Beard's (c. g. e. p.).
- Page 384.--9th December, 1759. John Colley's will--Daughters, Susan, Catharn, Mary; son, Christian, to mall 6,000 rails; wife, land he bought of Mr. Courts (Curts?); son, Peter; wife and her children, and Mary, Barbery, Margt., Elizabeth, Clorah, Peter. Executors, Ludwick Franciscus, Christopher Ermantrout. Teste: Thos. Poynter, Valentine Mitsker, Wm. Beard. Proved, 20th May, 1760, by the witnesses. Christopher Annentrout (the other refusing) qualified, with Augustine Price, Frederick Armentrout, Jno. Couts.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1768--Page 2, William Beard, Borden's Land.
- Page 400.--19th June, 1760. John Colly's appraisement, by Archd. Huston, Wm. Beard, Jacob Parsinger.
- Page 147.--5th April, 1751 (s/b 1761?). Sale held of the estate of Jacob Pence, and settlement of estate by Peter Miller, executor of Val. Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, recorded 18th May, 1762. Sold to Henry Dooley, James Bartley, Wm. Craig, Jno. Fudge, James Downey, Joseph Wait, Repentance Townsend, Jacob Harman, Saml. Muncy, Robt. Hook, Danl. Love, David Loran, Wm. Beard, Johnston Hill, David Crighton; to cash. Paid Jno. Wright, Henry Perkey, Jno. Maggart, Andw. Faught, Jacob Pence. Nicholas Trout, Thos. Crawford, Archd. Huston. (Note: the rest of the records near this record were recorded in 1761 or 1762).
- Page 41.--8th July, 1761. John Cally's appraisement by Archd. Huston, Wm Beard, Jacob Parsinger.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1761. - (51) James McClure's will proved. Wm. Beard and Wm. McClure, two of the witnesses, are dead, and John McClure, eldest son and heir of decd., appeared and said he had no objection to proving the will, it is recorded. Wm. McClure, one of the executors named, is also dead, and Wm. Givens, the other executor, lives in South Carolina. Admn. is granted to James McClure, son of decd.
- Page 263.--21st June, 1763. William Beard's bond (with Archd. Huston) as administrator of John Sheldon.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 21, 1763. - (109) Margaret Leeper qualified administratrix of her deceased husband, James Leeper. William Beard, greatest creditor, qualifies administrator of John Sheldon.
- Page 514.--21st November, 1763. James Kennedy to James McNutt, £20, 118 acres in Borden's grant on Kennedy's Mill Creek; William Fulton's line, Wm. Beard's and John Loggan's corner. Delivered: Alex. McNutt, 10th September, 1765.
- Page 394.--27th August, 1764. Abraham Bess's (Biss) will--To son James, infant, 131 acres adjoining James Johnson; to eldest daughter Margaret, infant; to eldest of surviving children at Margaret's death; tract in Forks of James to be sold. Wife Isabell Biss, executrix. Teste: Joseph Cloyd, Wm. Beard, Jno. Bradley. Proved, 21st May, 1765, by Cloyd and Beard. Isabella qualifies (her mark ), with Jno. Smith, David Mitchell.
- Page 365.--20th November, 1764. John Sheldon's appraisement (by Jos. English, Geo. Carpenter, Jas. Leard), and settlement of estate, recorded. Wm. Beard, administrator. To attendance given while sick, myself and family, 3 weeks. Cash paid Robert Elliott.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 15, 1765. - (336) James Mateer, provisions. John Risk, provisions. Wm. Beard, provisions. Charles Erwin, provisions. Joseph Waughub, provisions. Thos. and John Brown, provisions. John Bodkin, provisions and horse impressed. Robert Hartgrove, horse killed. John Young, pasturage, horse impressed. John McPheeters, provisions. Wm. McNabb, provisions. John McKarney, provisions. Thos. Feemster, provisions.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1767. - (245) John Frazier, Wm. Beard, Geo. Carpenter, Jr., Randall Lockhart, Catherine Shirley.
- Page 241.--16th March, 1768. Robert Scott to James Scott, £30, 196 acres (100 acres patented to said Robert, 16th August, 1756); corner Mathew Thompson's land on Collins' branch; oak near William Beard'sland), 96 acres, the other part thereof part of his other parcel of land, the one containing 200 acres patented to said Robert 30th July, 1742, the other containing 85 acres patented to Robert 15th August, 1764. on Stoney Lick Run. Delivered: James Scott, August, 1773.
- Page 257.--15th May, 1769. Thomas Beard's will--To wife, all cleared land where house stands to clear land for turnips where they last grew; to daughter Fane; to daughter Jane; to wife, his elbow chair, negroe boy; to son Hugh, cleared land; to grandson Thomas, son of Hugh, 170 acres lying next John Montgomery's Thomas Hill; to grandchildren, viz: Thomas Alexander, Thomas (page 259) Beard (William's son), Thomas Mitchell, Thomas Dunlap, £10 each; to Robert Ramsey's children (testator's grandchildren), £12.10.0.; to son William; to daughters Ester Alexander, Elizabeth Mitchell, Mary Dunlap; to grandchildren Ann Alexander, Martha Mitchell. (Frequent provision for such issue in case daughter Jane have issue.) Executors, James Mitchell, Thos. Hill. Teste: John, James, Andrew Eakin. Proved, 18th October, 1769, by John and James Eakin. Executors qualify, with William Alexander, Wm. Kennedy, Hugh Beard.
- Page 165 - Robert Eliot, 33 acres, Cub Run a Branch of Shenandoah. Adjoining William Beard. November 28, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 60].
- Page 292.--3d July, 1771. Robert ( ) Frazor and Frances ( ) to Benjamin Yardly (Yearly), £125. on south branches of Shanando, known by the name of Cave Bottom, part of 400 acres patented to Alex. Thompson, 12th May, 1742, and conveyed by Alexander to Wm. Beard, 100 acres, Alex. Thompson's Ford, the Cave Hill. Teste: Joseph Hannah, Robert Scott, Wm. Hook. Delivered to Benj. Yardley, January, 1773.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1778. - (292) William Beard, vice William Thompson--Constable. John Clemmons, vice William Allison--Constable.
- Page 295.--23d January, 1789. Privy examination of Elizabeth Harless, wife of Immanuel Harless (deed to William Beard, dated _____, 440 acres), taken by Daniel Howe and John Preston.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1793--June 10, Wm. Beard and Wm. Sproul, surety. Wm. Beard and Margaret McNutt, daughter of James McNutt (consent). Teste: Wm. Sproul, James McNutt, Jr. (Note: this Marriage Bond was for William's son).
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1794--July 29, James Trotter and Joseph Beard, James McNutt, John Allen, sureties. James Trotter and Mary Beard, daughter of Wm. Beard (consent). Teste: Joseph Beard.
- Vol. 2 - (undated, but prior records establish deposition date as in 1806) Page ___--Wm. Beard, aged 74 or 75, deposes, 13th June. Wm. Alexander, aged 65 years, deposes, 13th June. (Note: record indicates William Beard's birthdate in abt. 1731/32, but since this William Beard received a land patent in 1746, he was born closer to abt. 1725 or earlier. Perhaps this record is for a different William Beard)
- Vol. 2 - RECORD BOOKS IN CIRCUIT COURT OFFICE. BOOK MARKED "RECORDS." - Page 114--Thomas Hannah's heirs vs. Henry V. Bingham--John Shiflet deposes, 1815, the ford on South River was called Thompson's Ford 50years ago. Jacob Scott deposes, at his home in Rockingham, he is 70 years old. When he was 20 years old he recalls that his half-brother lived then in a cabin on land now owned by Jno. Mohler on South River, near a cave then called Hannah's Cave, since known as Madison's Cave; present saltpeter works on the land; Mathias Amond lived near the ford; James Lamb and his son, James Lamb. The cave was also called Weyer's or Amond's Cave. Alexr. Hannah deposes, in Augusta, 1814, is 70 years of age; he was 14 years old when his father moved to the plantation where heirs of Thos. Hannah now live; Alexr. was son of Joseph; the Hannah's got Ocher out of the Cave; there was a schoolhouse near the mouth of the cave. Patent, 30th July, 1742, to Alexr. Thompson, 400 acres on South River above the Red Banks. Deed, 9th February, 1745, Thompson to Alexr. Downs of Orange, 300 acres part of above 400 acres. Deed, 18th February, 1746. Thompson to Wm. Beard, tract called Cave Bottom, 100 acres. Deed, 15th July, 1753, by Beard to Robert Frazer, conveys above. Deed, Henry Downs to Joseph Hannah, 5th October, 1758, 300 acres. Deed, 3d July, 1771, by Robert Frazier to Benj. Yearby (Yearly), 100 acres. Patent, 20th July, 1787, to Benj. Yearby (Yearly), 454 acres on South River, opposite Benjamin's other land. Deed, 21st October, 1788, by Benj Yearby to Mathias Amond, 1,180 acres on South River. Recorded in Rockingham. Will of Joseph Hannah, 27th July, 1789, of Rockingham. Sons, Thomas, Alexr., Joseph, David; daughters, Rosana, Mary Boon, Jane Olden; wife, Anna. Recorded in Rockingham, 28th September, 1789. Deed, 22d February, 1796, by Rosana Ocheltree to Mathias Amond, 10-1/4 acres in Rockingham on South River. Recorded in Rockingham, 1796. Deed, 26th September, 1808, by James Lamme and Elizabeth to Wm. Lamme, 90 acres, partly in Augusta and partly in Rockingham, at mouth of Middle River; 40 acres is part of 363 acres conveyed by Wm. Lamme, Sr., to said James and Samuel Lamme, 17th November, 1773; 50 acres were conveyed by Chas. Fox and Rosana to said James, 26th April, 1802. Wife, Magdaline; sons, William, Thomas, Joseph, John; daughters, Magdaline, Caty, Margaret, Mefford, Mary. Dated 6th December, 1808. Recorded in Rockingham. Deed, 9th December, 1809, Mathias Amond of Rockingham to Henry V. Bingham, 1,180 acres on South River. Recorded in Rockingham. Deed, 9th December, 1809, by same to same, 10-1/4 acres in Rockingham. Recorded in Rockingham.
Information on William Beard
Born 1728, Staunton, VA
Married Mary Steele
- Robert Beard 1763
- Thomas Beard Abt. 1760
- John C. Beard 1760-1770, Augusta, VA
- William Beard, Jr. Augusta, VA
- Hugh Beard Augusta, VA
- Ann Beard
- Samuel Beard
- James Beard
- Joseph Beard
- Esther Beard
- Page 140 (original in Volume 2) 3- Samuel Craig; 219 ac; September 26th, 1823 on the top of Bucks Elbow; by Peter McGee; joining Sam’l Jamerson, Sam’l McCord, Wm Beard, new lines.
- Page 153 3- John Rodes; 66.5 ac; May 23, 1828; lying on the north side of Buck’s Elbow a mountain of the Blueridge, …….joining new lines, Wm Beard, David Cass, his own lines, Wm Shelton’s now Jno Rodes.
"Albemarle County, Virginia Surveyor's Plat Books 1744-1853"
"A history of Rockbridge County, VA" by Oren F. Morton, 1920 - Staunton, VA
Beard-Thomas - 605 39-80 -- 33p, 5s-1753-Moffet Cr. near John Roseman -- sold to William Beard, 1760 for 100p.