Facts and Events
There are 3 vital records available on MyHeritage for William Armstrong, including birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Vital records are historical records that are typically recorded around the actual time of the event, which means they are likely accurate.
Vital records include information like the event date and place, and the person's occupation and residence.
Vital records also often include information about the person's relatives.
For example, birth and marriage records include names of parents and divorce records list the names of children.
See all vital records for William Armstrong
William Armstrong was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on William Armstrong
There was were several settlers with the name William Armstrong in early Augusta County, that can be easily confused. This William Armstrong acquired land in the Borden Tract on Mill Creek in Augusta County and on a west branch of the James River.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
William Armstrong acquired two tracts of land in Augusta County, 1) 200 acres on "Mill Creek in Borden's Grant" (later sold to William Lusk), and 2) 100 acres "on a west branch of the James River called Catawbo Creek", as detailed in the following record in Chalkley's:
- Page 336.--14th October, 1765. Archibald Alexander, executor of Benj. Borden and Magdalene Bowyer, administratrix of John McDowell and mother of Samuel McDowell, orphan and heir-at-law of John McDowell, to William Lusk (contracted by Benj., Sr., to John McDowell). John covenanted to convey to Wm. Armstrong 300 acres for £9 in two tracts. Armstrong entered into possession, 200 acres thereof on Mill Creek in Borden's grant, and 100 acres on a west branch of James River called Catawbo Creek and made improvements on both places. John McDowell died 1742 without making conveyance. Armstrong brought suit in chancery, in which in 1752 it was ordered that conveyance be made to Armstrong, but Armstrong has covenanted to convey to Wm. Lusk the 200-acre tract for £26.10, beginning at a black oak; corner Isaac Taylor on Mill Creek, Daniel Lyle's line; corner Daniel Lyle and Edward Tarr. Teste: James and Samuel McDowell, Christopher Vinyard. Delivered: Wm. Lusk, November, 1766.
Records of William Armstrong in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 89.--Sale bill of above estate (estate of Daniel Monahan), 13th December, 1744, purchasers, viz: James Price, Wm. Akers, Pat Shirkey, Chas. Ewing, John Thomas, Mary Akers, Nicholas Harford, Mary Kinder, Wm. Armstrong, Wm. Carson, Archibald Grimes, Wm. Mills, James Burk, Bryan Cuff, Wm. Armstrong, Henry Brown, Daniel Creeley, Pat Shirkey, Mark Cole, George Barberer, Simon Akers, Peter Kinder, Joseph Love, Methusalem Griffith, Tobias Bright, Jno. McFall, Wm. March, Mark Cole, Jasper Terry. Henry Brown, Jr., Wm. Terry, Stephen Rentfro. 1740 - The estate of Daniel Monahan, Dr. Cash paid Joseph Tate. Cash paid Edmond Cartledge. 1743--Cash paid Andrew Gaughagin.
- Page 32.--18th March, 1746. James Burk qualifies administrator of Isaac Bean, with sureties Humberston Lyon, Wm. Armstrong. Acknowledged, 18th March, 1746.
- Page 151.--9th March, 1748. Simon Aker's will--Wife, Mary Akers; sons, William and Thomas, and their younger brother and sister, Uriah Acres and Ruth Acres. Executors, wife Mary and son William. Teste: Wm. Armstrong, Susanna Armstrong, Nicholas Haile. Presented, 17th May, 1749, by Mary and William Acres. Proved by Wm. and Susanna Armstrong, and lie for further proof.
- Page 225.--21st December, 1749. Charles Hungate's appraisement, by John Mason Tasker Tosh, Wm. Armstrong.
- Page 275.--28th November, 1750. Sale bill of Ann Hungate's vendue To William Alexander, Joseph Milikin, Malcom Campbell, Wm. Carson, Wm. Armstrong, James Necley. John Lawler. Jacob Patton, Uriah Acres, Archibald Grimes.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: William Armstrong, 3rd May, 1753 (Note: listed among many others, this is probably referring to the bond due Patton for the 100-acre tract on the West Branch of the James River, and 3 May 1753 is a likely acquisition date.)
- Page 383.--21st March, 1771. James Patton's settlement of estate recorded--John Buchanan, executor; 1756--8th September, by cash of Wm. Armstrong (Roanoke). (Note: listed among many others, most likely the settlement of the 100-acre tract referenced above).
Information on William Armstrong
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM2 ARMSTRONG (JOHN1) was born Bet. 1699 - 1703 in Langholm, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and died Aft. 1750. He married SUSANNA BLYTHE 11 Oct 1724 in Kirkandrews-on-Esk, Cumbria, England.
Notes for WILLIAM ARMSTRONG:
In the January 2001 addendum to her book, "Armstrongs of the Catawba," Norma Cansler writes that William Armstrong emigrated through Colonial Pennsylvania in 1742 on his way to Colonial Virginia to buy land. The title of Mrs. Cansler's book refers to Catawba Creek which runs northeast through what is now Boutetourt County Virginia toward the James River.
F. B. Kegley's book, "Kegley's Virginia Frontier," refers to an "enterprising land-hunter" named Benjamin Borden who was granted 8,100 acres on Catawba Creek in 1739 and an additional 6,400 acres in 1740. The book lists the follow sales of land to a William Armstrong:
"July 30, 1742, William Armstrong - Deed, 100 acres on a west branch James River called Catawba Creek. And 200 acres on Mill Creek in Borden's Grant from Benjamin Borden, Sr. contracted for by John McDowell. Au. D. Bk. 12, 336."
Notes for SUSANNA BLYTHE:
There is one record suggesting Susanna Blythe, the wife of patriarch William Armstrong, came to the Colonies with her husband and three sons. On page 12 of Volume III of "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish in Virginia" by Lyman Chalkley, the will of Simon Akers is attested and "proved" in Augusta County by "Wm. and Susanna Armstrong."
More About WILLIAM ARMSTRONG and SUSANNA BLYTHE:
Marriage: 11 Oct 1724, Kirkandrews-on-Esk, Cumbria, England
Children of WILLIAM ARMSTRONG and SUSANNA BLYTHE are:
2. i. WILLIAM3 ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1725, Langholm, Dumfriesshire, Scotland; d. 1813, Mercer County KY.
3. ii. JOHN ARMSTRONG, b. Bet. 1731 - 1732, Langholm, Dumfriesshire, Scotland; d. 24 Jun 1801, Mercer County KY.
4. iii. LANCELOT (LANTY) ARMSTRONG, b. Bef. 1740; d. 1802, Knox County TN.