Facts and Events
Thomas Weems was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 512.--19th May, 1748. £18.6.7. James Patton and Jno. Lewis to Thomas Weems (Weams), _____ acres on both sides Great River, Calfpasture; corner to Henry Gay; corner to Jno. Harry. Teste: Acknowledged, 19th May, 1748. (Note: the number of acres is not listed in the Chalkley's record, but it is most likely 552 acres, as listed in the disposition below).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 253.--21st June, 1763. Thomas Weems and Elinor to William Givens, £217, 552 acres on Great Calve Pasture; corner Henry Gay; corner John Harvey. Teste: James Lockridge, John Stewart, John Handley.
Records of Thomas Weems in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 4.--3rd September, 1747: Processioners appointed, viz: ... Wm. McCutchen and James Carlile, Sr., on Little River of Calf Pasture, and the Great River below Dunlap's Gap; Thomas Weams and John Graham, from Dunlap's Gap, including all the waters of Great Calfpasture.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 22, 1754. - (268) Thomas Weems, John Malcome--witnesses.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1754. - (336) Thomas Weems and David Ormont--jurors.
- Page 317.--18th May, 1759. Thomas Fulton's estate settlement--Debts paid to Charles Goodall, Saml. Hodge, Robt. Gween, Thos. Weems, Hugh Young.
- Page 383.--21st May, 1760. Catherine Dickinson's bond (with Wm. McFeeters, Thos. Weems, Archd. Armstrong, Ralph Laverty) as administratrix of Adam Stevenson.
- Page 266.--20th April, 1763. Henry Gay's settlement of estate of John Gay recorded--To Eleanor Weems; to recording the will of Willms Burgh; paid Jacob Martin; paid Wm. Coven. (Note: Eleanor Weems was Thomas Weems' wife).
Information on Thomas Weems
From Rootsweb.com post:
Here is a timeline for Thomas Scott Weems and his sons which I constructed from the land records.
- 1) Thomas Scott Weems Appearing first in Middleton, Bucks County, PA supposedly born about 1704
- 2) Thomas Weems Assignned as processioner on 3 Sep 1747 in Augusta County, PA
- 3) Thomas Weems mentioned in Scotch_irish of Augusta PA records on 28 Feb 1748
- 4) Thomas Weems 2 Apr 1748 - Mentioned in Orange County, PA land recor
- 5) Thomas Weems 19 May 1748 - Land record on Great River, Great Calfpasture, Augusta County, VA
- 6) Thomas Weems shows up on 18 May 1759 as a witness to Thomas Fulton's estate settlement.
- 7) Thomas Weems appears on 21 Jun 1763 with wife Elinor selling 552 acres on Great Clave Pasture to William Givens for 217 pounds.
- 9/30/1768 Henry Weems - (son of Thomas Scott Weems) 100 Acres on Fraziers Creek, Granville County
- 8/30/1770 Thomas Weems (son of Thomas Scott Weems) 150 acres on Long Cane Creek, Granville County (Granville County now extinct but was on the eastern coast of SC, NOT inland)
- 2/2/1775 Thomas Scott Weems and George Hales 500 acres on Great Linches Creek, in St. Davids Parish (Craven County)
- Henry Weem 100 acres on Frasers Creek, Granville county 3/11/1775
- 7/25/1775 - Thomas Weem (probably son of Thomas Scott Weems because they seem to be designated by separate names) and John Gray, 87 Acres on Long Cane Creek, 96 District SC
- 10/05/1775 Thomas Weems 50 acres on Lynches Creek, Craven County (Craven County extinct, also on the Coast)
- James Weems plat for 200 acres on waters of SAvannah river, 96 District, 5/27/1784
- Thomas Weems 110 acres on Long Cane Cree, 96 District, 7/17/1786
- George Weems 10/17/1787 on Long Cane Creek, 96 District
- Died bef Nov 18, 1794 in Long Cane, Abbeville District, SC (this is about 5 miles south of Abbeville, now a small black community with no extant cemetery)
William Weems, 359 acres on Curltail Creek, ABbeville County, 96 District 1/30/1801
Henry Weems 262 acres on Curltail Creek, Abbeville Distr 4/26/1808
Samuel Weems, 390 acres on Long Cane Creek, Abbelvile District 1/25/1810