Facts and Events
Thomas Stuart was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Thomas Stuart's land (Beverley Manor South, 4 Tracts: 1) 353 acre tract acquired from Samuel Davidson in 1744; 2) 353-acre patent from William Beverley in 1749 (adjoining to the north); 3) 100-acre patent from Beverley in 1750 (shown just north of the 353-acre 1749 patent); and 4) 105-acre patent from Beverley in 1773 (shown just north of the 100-acre 1750 patent) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pg. 74-77. Indenture 21 May 1744 between Samuel Davison, County of Augusta, Shoemaker, of the one part, and Thomas Stewart of the other part... for sum of five shillings... 353 acres of land mentioned deed granted to William Beverley Esqr., dated 4th June 1739... lying in Beverley Manor, County of Augusta on South fork of Shanando River adj. Colo. James Patton, Esqr. (signed) Samuel Davison (seal). Witnesses: John Finley, William Smith. Lease acknowledged & recorded 24 May 1744. Payment of three cows, one bull paid by Joseph Teer, and £11 paid by Thomas Stewart... Released 22 May 1744. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 10].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 670.--2nd March, 1749. William Beverley to Thomas Stewart, 353 acres. Above. Corner Col. James Patton.
- Page 360.--21st August, 1750. Beverley to Thomas Stewart, 100 acres in Beverley Manor; John Black's line; corner Thomas Stewart's old survey; Col. Patton's line. Delivered to Thos. Stewart, 15th June. 1773. (Note: this 100 acres is labeled at the top of Thomas Stuert's 353-acre patent as "100 AC 1754" on the Hildebrand Map above).
- Page 235.--24th November, 1759. Robert Finley to Thomas Stewart (conveyed to Robert by County Court, 1753), £30, half of lot 3; also 40 acres, part as above (part of a large tract belonging to Robert Finley in Beverley Manor; corner Thos. Stewart, Wm. Preston's line), near Felix Gilbert's land. Livery, &c., by handful of earth. Delivered: Thomas, July, 1766.
- Page 162.--17th March, 1773. Beverley to Thomas Stuart. Delivered: Robert Stuart, 7th December, 1801. (Note: this appears to be the 105-acre tract adjoining (to the north of) the 353-acre patent of 1749. It is labeled as "105 AC Stuart R" on the Hildebrand Map above)
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 668.--28th February, 1749. Thomas Stewart to William Beverley, on South Fork Shannandoe, 353 acres in Beverley Manor on South River. Corner Capt. James Patton; Beverley Manor line. Teste: Cha. Dick. (Note: this is apparently the 353-acre tract acquired from Samuel Davidson in 1744, perhaps an exchange for the land patented to Stewart by Beverley just two days later on March 2nd, listed above).
Will of Thomas Stuart
From Chalkley's Augusta County, VA Court Judgements:
- Page 113 - - 14th October, 1788. Thomas Stuart's will - - To wife, Elizabeth, to son, James; to grandson, Thomas Stuart; to son, Robert, houses and lots in Staunton; to son, Thomas; to daughter Elizabeth Paxton; to daughters, Jenny (houses and lots in Staunton), Julia and Mary; to grandson, Stuart Paxton. Executors, son Robert, Thomas Stuart. Teste: Benj. Stuart, William and Samuel Black, Robert Stuart. Proved, 17th February, 1789, by William and Samuel black. Robert qualifies, and 22nd April, 1789, Thomas Stuart qualifies.
- Page 237.--12th June, 1789. Thomas Stuart's estate appraised by Walter Davis, Samuel Long, Joseph Colter.
- Page 239.—(12th June, 1789) List of debts by bonds, bills, notes, and acceptances due to above estate--By Francis Allison and son, Andrew; George Burton; Francis Bogs, assigned by John Hardy; Thomas Bates (Holston); Wm. Butt; Isaac Burns; John Boal; Jno. Creely; Wm. Currance; David Clerkston; Wm. Dandridge; Jno. Emmitt; Jno. Earskins; Edward Harkins; Jno. Jack; James Walker (Samuel's son).
- Page 244.-- .—(12th June, 1789) - List of book debts due Thomas Stuart--By John Allison (Middle River); James Bates, Jr.; Manis Burgey; James Buchanan (near John Tate's); ditto (Burden's Land); John Bell, son to the widow; Wm. Burbridge; Wm. Barnett (Rockfish); John Caldwell (son Samuel); John Cock (Mason); Jno. Campbell (son to Henry); Robt. Campbell (son to widow); Robt. Cowan (son to James); William Campbell (Sander's son); Robt. Campbell (Smith); Alex. Elliot (son to George); William Fulton (Bigham's son-in-law); James Frazer (Scotchman); ditto (Long Meadow); William Fulton (schoolmaster); James Henry (son to Samuel); Robt. Hamilton (Doctor); John Henderson (shoemaker); Samuel Hays (blacksmith); Wm. Jamison (son to Robert); ditto (Christian's Creek); Wm. Johnston (Brushy (Brusley?) Neck); John Kilpatrick (son to Thomas); James Kilpatrick (Thomas' son); John Lyle (widow's son); Joseph Long (Forks); Edward Long (taylor); John Montgomery (wagonmaker); Jno. Moore (Abney's place); Robert Mitchell (John's son); James McCroscery (John's son); William Moore (D. brother); Alex. Moore (D. brother); James McClung (John's son); James McCown (Frank's son); Alex. Montgomery (son to John); James Moore (son to widow); Wm. McClenachan (Doctor); James McClure (owned A. Reed's place); Mr. _____ Oglebay (son to James Brady); Wm. Poage (Holston); Robert Patterson (carpenter); Wm. Reed (taylor); John Robertson (Providence); James Stuart (Providence); Samuel Steel (Providence); Charles Stuart (millwright); widow Stuart (Burden's Land); John Stuart (taylor); John Sinters (Suinters) (Patrick Martin's son); Robert Stuart (Pastures); John Shields (son to John); William Stuart (schoolmaster); John Thompson (wheelwright); John Thompson (son to James); Thomas Wilson (Caylor's town); John Walker (Forks); Samuel Wilson (James' brother); Thomas Welson (Chesnut Ridge); John Weir (Smith's cousin); Alex. Walker (farmer); John Wilson (Robert's son); James Weir (Jeremiah Teford's father-in-law); Edward Walton; John Weir (Hugh's brother); Hugh Weir (Smith); John Weir (Robert's son); George Taylor (Botetourt); David Steel (Robert's son); James Walker (son to John); David Robertson (Providence); Jno. Starling (Botetourt); Christopher Migrons; Wm. Napper; Jno.
Records of Thomas Stuart in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County, VA Court Judgements:
- Page 461.--22nd February, 1749. Same (From William Beverley) to Robert Moody, 473 acres in Beverley Manor, head of Long Meadow. Corner John Frazier. Delivered: Samuel Frazier, 11th November, 1773. Teste: Thomas Stewart and John Brown.
- Page 524.--22nd February, 1749. William Beverley to James Patton, Gent., 1398 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner Beverley Manor line. Teste: Alexander Wright, Thomas Stewart.
- Page 638.--27th February, 1749. Same to Robert Young, planter (farmer) part of John Young's land in Beverley Manor (234 acres) on Back Creek. Corner to Hugh Young and John Trimble; corner William McPheeters; corner James Young. Teste: Thomas Stewart and Charles Dalhouse.
- Page 673.--28th February, 1749. Same (From William Beverley) to Charles Dalhouse, 414 acres in Beverley Manor. Samuel Gay's corner; James McClure's line; corner George Robinson. Teste: Francis Beaty, Thomas Stewart.
- MISC PAPERS - PAGES 528-538 - File No. 927.--Stuart vs. Black. Robert Stuart complains that Samuel and James Black claim his land. Robert is son of Thomas Stuart, who received conveyance from Beverley, 1st March, 1749. Beverley conveyed to John Black, ancestor of defendants, 30th May, 1749.
- Page 464.--30th May, 1751. Joseph Teas to Archibald Stewart, contracting, mauling and laying 6700 rails, building a log house, clearing and plowing 20 acres, from Beverley to Teas, 5th June, 1739. Beverley Manor, 469 acres. Teste: Edward Hall, Thomas Stewart, William Patterson.
- Page 128.--1st March, 1753. Wm. Beverley by Lewis Madison to James Gillespy, 200 acres; corner in his old survey in Beverley Manor; corner Charles Dalhouse and Wm. Bell. Delivered Thomas Stuart, 22d June, 1754.
- Page 181.--16th August, 1759. Robert Finley to Felix Gilbert, merchant. Beverley in 1749 conveyed to County Court 85 acres. County Court conveyed to Robert, 1753, lots 4, 3, 13, in Staunton, £30, lot 4 and 50 acres; corner Thos. Stewart, Wm. Preston's line. Teste: Audley Hamilton.
- Page 233.--24th November, 1759. Robt. Finley to Felix Gilbert. County Court conveyed lots 3, 4, and 13 to Robert, 1753, now Robert conveys to Felix, £30, half lot No. 4, parallel with Samuel Wilson's lot to Sampson Mathews; also 50 acres, part of a large tract belonging to Robert in Beverley Manor; corner Thos. Stewart, Wm. Preston's line. Livery, &c., by handful of earth.
- Page 72.--19th November 1760. John Black to Samuel Black, his son, £6, 369 acres on South River of Shanandore in Beverley Manor, part of 738 acres on which said Jno. and Samuel now live; cor. Thos. Stewart. Delivered: Samuel Black, 3d August, 1772.
- Page 225.--9th December, 1760. John Black to his son William Black, £10, 369 acres on South River of Shanandoe, part of 738 acres whereon John now lives; cor. William Long, Samuel Black's part of said tract. Teste: Thomas Stewart, James and Gabriel Alexander, Samuel Black. Delivered: William Black, 19th July, 1787.
- Page 173.--20th May, 1766. James Finley, of Staunton, farmer, and Agness to Sampson and George Mathews, merchants and partners in Staunton, mortgage, £110. three half lots of land in County lots, lot No. 3, lot No. 4, lot No. 13; also the residue of tract conveyed to James by Beverley, 19th March, 1754, containing 155 acres, part of which was formerly granted to Felix Gilbert. Thomas Stewart and James Huston; also remainder of a lease for 87 acres in Beverley Manor, and described in a lease from James Brown to the saiid Robert Finley, 16th January, 1754, for the term
of 57 years; all which land was conveyed to Robert Finley, late of Augusta County, deceased, and descended to James Finley as his brother and heir-at-law.
- Page 345.--17th April, 1767. Same (From James Findley, brother and heir of Robert Findley, deceased, and Agnes) to George Willson, of Hampshire County, £90, 1/4 acre, one-half of lot 3, the other half being sold to Thomas Stuart: also 16 acres, part of 155 above.
- ↑ World Family Tree, Cd number 16, Tree number 3156.
This source says born in Seattle, WA, but that is obviously incorrect, other sources say Ireland.
- ↑ Chalkley, - Augusta County, Virginia Court Abstracts.
- Delijim/Genealogy of the Descendants of John Walker of Wigdon, Scotland, by Emma Siggins White, published by Tuttle An, p. 34.