Thomas Nutter entered his homestead of 400 acres about two miles from Clarksburg on the West Side of Elk Creek and on the road to Buckhannon in 1775 and preempted one thousand acres adjoining.
On this tract was built the famous Nutter's Fort, which was a harbor of refuge for the neighborhood during the Indian wars.
The census of 1782 shows that he had a family of eight in that year.
The date of his birth and death are not known.
Some of his original settlement right is still owned by his descendants.