Thomas Linville, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VA and Rowan County, NC
Facts and Events
||Thomas Linville, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VA and Rowan County, NC
||to Hannah Unknown
Thomas Linville was one of Old Chester County, Pennsylvania and one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Record of Thomas Linville in Chester County, PA
Thomas Linville was on the 1730 Tax List in Chester County, PA.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 152.--20th August, 1746. William Linwell to Thomas Linwell, £12; 500 acres on Linwell's Creek, part of 1,500 acres granted to William by McCay & Co.; land in possession of Joseph Bryant. William ( ) Linwell. Acknowledged by William, and Eleanor releases dower, 20th August, 1746.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 165.--14th November, 1746. Thomas Linwell and Hannah, his wife, to Jacob Christman, of Frederick County, £100 currency; 500 acres. part of 1,500 acres purchased of Jost Hite on Linwell's Creek. Witnesses, Wat Ellice, G. Jones. Acknowledged, 20th November, 1746. (Note: it appears that Thomas Linville was in Augusta County from about 1742-1747, and although he still owned land there, he appears to have migrated to North Carolina sometime after he sold the 500-acre tract to Jacob Crisman in 1746, which he had owned less than three months).
Records of Thomas Linville in Augusta County, VA
- Page 188.--26th February, 1746. Thomas Linwell, yeoman, to Morgan Bryant, £16 current money Virginia; 3 cows, a set of Smith's tools. Trust to secure to Capt. Robert Green & Co., £16. Witnesses, Edward Hughes, Abraham Croson (Creeson). Proved by both witnesses.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL AND JUNE, 1746. - William Wright vs. Thomas Linville.--Writ 11th March, 1745. Thomas Linville told Robert Patterson that he had paid to William Wright a certain sum of money which was due to said Wright's father. Order by William Wright's, 10th December, 1744, to Robert Patterson to collect the account.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 12, 1746. - (45) Jost Hite vs. Thomas Linville.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER, 1746. - Jost Hite vs. Thomas Linville.--Breach contract. Agreement for rental of a mill by plaintiff to defendant. Dated 23d March, 1742-3.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE, 1747. - Pendleton vs. Linville.--Thomas Linville not to be found in my bailiwick. March. 1746.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 19, 1747. - (240) Thos. Linville ordered fined for not attending as a witness.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER, 1747. - Valentine Sevier vs. Thomas Linwell.--Attachment, 6th March, 1746-7.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1747 (A). - Robert McCoy, Jost Hite, Robert Green, Robert Green, being executor of William Duff, deceased, vs. William Linwell, Thomas Linwell and Morgan Bryan.--Debt on bond dated 18th June, 1746. Writ dated 24th August, 1747. Returned not found as to W. and T. Linwell.
- Page 219.--3d June, 1755. Joseph Bryan and Alice to Jacob Chrisman, of Frederick, £160, 500 acres purchased by Joseph from Wm. Linvil and part of 1500 acres purchased by Linvil from Hite, &c., on Linvil's Creek, cor. to land in possession of Thomas Linvil.
Information on Thomas Linville
- Second Generation
- Children of Thomas and Hannah Linville:
- Thomas Linville Jr (1735-1817) (went west after 1767)
- Richard Linville (ca.1740-ca.1821) m. unknown
- David Linville (1740/42-1786/87)
- Aaron Linville (ca. 1750-1824) m. Charity Hutchins
- Moses Linville (ca. 1754-1826)
Help fund new features!