Facts and Events
Thomas Hicklin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 455.--22d March, 1770. Thomas Hicklen, Sr., to Thomas Hicklin, Jr., £100, 131 acres on Newfound Creek of the Cowpasture and now known by the name of the Bullpasture, part of 348 acres patented to Andrew Lewis, 1st June, 1750, and coneyed by him to Thomas, Sr.; corner land formerly in possession of John Wilson; corner land in possession of Samuel Givens. Teste: John Carlile, Robert ( ) Carlile, William Black.
Records of Thomas Hicklin, Jr. in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1767. - (230) Overseers of roads appointed: Thos. Hicklin, Jr., vice John Estill; John Dailey, from North to South River; Walter Smiley, vice Wm. Kennedy.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1770. - (149) Christopher Graham, aged 16, orphan of Robt. Graham, chose Thos. Hicklin guardian.
- Page 347.--20th November, 1770. Thomas Hicklen's bond (with Hugh and John Hicklin) as guardian to Christopher Graham, orphan of Robert Graham.
- Page 14.--11th March, 1773. John Carlile, Sr., and Elizabeth ( ), and Robert ( ) Carlile and Nancy ( ), to John Carlile, Jr., tract, 300 acres, on Bullpasture, patented to John and Robert, 10th August, 1759. Teste: John Hicklen, Bond Estill, Thomas Hicklen, east side of the Indian Draft.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 17, 1778. - (272) Benj. Wilson, Samuel Vance and Thomas Hicklin qualified Captains.
- Page 48.--17th November, 1778. Recorded. Edward Hinds' appraisement by Thomas Hicklin, Thos. Feemster, James Peebles.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 15, 1780. - (183) Following allowed certificates for land for military services: John Kinkead, Thomas Hicklin, Robert Gwin, Lofftus Pullin, William Black, Patrick Miller, William Jackson, in Capt. Wm. Preston's Company of Rangers, 1758. Wm. Kinkead, Thomas Kinkead, John Montgomery, of Capt. Lewis's Company, Boquet's Expedition, 1764.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1781. - (350) Thomas Hicklin recommended Captain of the Company he formerly commanded; James Bratton in room of Capt. Kinkead, resigned; Joseph Gwin as First Lieutenant in Capt. Hicklin's Company; Joseph Day as Ensign in Capt. Poage's Company.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond, 1788--September 6, Isaac Maze and Joseph Maze, surety. Isaac Maze and Ruth Hicklin, daughter of Thomas Hicklin. Consent for daughter Ruth signed by Hugh Hicklin. Teste: Val. White.
- Page 353.--7th January, 1791. Andrew Lockridge's will--To son, John, 1 crown; to daughter, Elizabeth Gwin, 1 crown; to daughter, Elenor Dinwiddy, 1 crown; to daughter, Margaret Henderson, 1 crown; to son, Andrew, 1 crown; to son, James, 1 crown; to son, William, tract purchased of Thos. Hicklin; to sons, Robert and Lanty, lands in Bullpasture, infants; to wife, Jean; to daughter, Sarah, 1 crown; to daughter, Rebecca; to my seven children, viz: William, Rebecka, Robert, Lanty, Elizabeth Lockridge, Jean, Ann. Executors, sons Andrew and William. Teste: John Montgomery, John Bradshaw. Proved, 19th April, 1791, by Montgomery and Bradshaw. executors qualify.
Information on Thomas Hicklin
Birth 1730 Chester County, Pennsylvania
Died 1804 Franklin County, Kentucky
Person ID I4294 Mosby Childers
Last Modified 23 Sep 2006
Father Thomas HICKLIN, b. Abt 1689, Scotland, Ireland Or USA? , d. 31 Jan 1772, Augusta County, Virginia
Mother Diannah (Dobeny) DONAGHE
Family ID F1832 Group Sheet
Family Elizabeth Ann MILLER
- 1. Johathan HICKLIN, b. 21 Jan 1756, Augusta County, Virginia , d. 14 Feb 1858, Christian, Illinois
- 2. Hugh HICKLIN, b. 1758, Augusta County, Virginia , d. 5 Feb 1822, Jackson, Tennessee
- 3. James HICKLIN, b. 1762, Augusta County, Virginia
- 4. William HICKLIN, b. 4 May 1764, Augusta County, Virginia , d. 10 Mar 1833, Jenning, Tennessee
- 5. Thomas HICKLIN, b. 1766, Augusta County, Virginia , d. Abt 1804, Franklin County, Kentucky
- 6. Nancy HICKLIN, b. 1768, Augusta County, Virginia
- 7. Rachel HICKLIN, b. 1770, Augusta County, Virginia
- 8. Absalom HICKLIN, b. 1772, Augusta County, Virginia
- 9. Elizabeth HICKLIN, b. 1774, Augusta County, Virginia
- 10. Sara HICKLIN, b. 1776, Augusta County, Virginia
Family ID F1837 Group Sheet
Notes Captain Thomas Hicklin bc 1730 in Orange County, Virginia (RH) He was a captain in the French and Indian War in 1758 (RH). He was also a Revolutionary War Officer who was sworn into office on March 17, 1778 (RH). He commanded a company under General Washington at the surrender of Cornwallis in Yorktown, Virginia in 1781 (RH). In 1778 or 1779, he spent one month at Warwick's Fort (RH). He was also a Captain under Major John Wilson and conveyed prisoners from Yorktown to Winchester (RH). During the Revolution, he resided in Augusta County, Virginia. Captain Thomas received a land grant in Kentucky in payment of his services (PP). Captain Thomas and his wife came to Kentucky by 1790 (RH) He died after 1795 in Augusta County, Virginia (RH) or about 1810 (BR) He married Elizabeth whose last name might have been Carlisle (PP). Their children were: Thomas, Jr., bc 1760-dc. 1804 (BR); Jonathan, b. 1765 (BR) Ruth, b. September 6, 1770 (BR); Hugh; William; Rachel; James; Nancy
Help fund new features!