Facts and Events
Stephen Arnold was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County:
- Pg. 15 - Land Survey - Stephen Arnold, 220 acres, James River. Mentioned Elk Creek. November 26, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 6].
- Pg. 108 - Land Survey - Stephen Arnold, 350 acres, South side of the James River. Adjoining John Hall. May 4, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 39].
- Pg. 109 - Land Survey - Stephen Arnold, 190 acres, Elk Creek Branch of the James River. October 23, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 39-40].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 242.--20th November, 1755. Stephen and Jane Arnold to John Poage, £5, 335 acres on Taylor's branch of Buffalo Creek. Not signed nor acknowledged by Jane. Teste: Richard Borton, John Macuell.
- Page 436.--21st August, 1760. Steven ( ) Arnold to John Poage, Sr., £44, 120 acres; cor. Hugh Mares. Delivered: Jno. Poage, March, 1769.
- Page 534.--15th August, 1766. Stephen ( ) Arnold and Jane ( ) to George Campbell, £40, 120 acres at the Cove on south side James River, crossing Elk Creek. Teste: Daniel Evans, Samuel McCluer (?).
- Page 368.--18th August, 1767. Stephen ( ) Arnold (Arnel) and Jean ( ) to John Hall, £60, 130 acres by patent, 11th July, 1761, on Love Run and Elk Creek, a branch of James River.
Records of Stephen Arnold in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1753. - (73) John Paxton to be overseer of road from Edmonston's Mill to Fork Meeting House, with these: James Trimble, Michael Finney, John Berrisford, Wm. Holdman, John Hardin, Hugh Means, Joseph Lapsley, Peter Wallace, Saml. McClure, Abram Brown, John Moore, Robert Moore, Stephen Arnold, Saml. Paxton, Jas. Edmondson.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1753. - (75) John Mathews to be overseer of road from North Fork of James River, near John Mathew's, to Renix's Road, with these workers: Henry Brown, John Smiley, James Trimble, John Berriford, James Edmondson, Wm. Edmondson, Michael Finney, Wm. Holdman, Stephen Arnold, Hugh Means, John Harger, Wm. Scot, Edward Bishop, Alexr. McCorkall, Pat. McCorkall, Henry Fuller, Joseph Pain, Edwd. Baley, James Baley, John Peter Salling, Jas. Simpson, James Wolson, Alexr. Beggs, John Mathews, Joshua Mathews, John Maxwell, Jas. Frazier, John Hutcheson, Senr., John Hutcheson, Jr., George Sailing, Richd. Beton, Wm. Boil, John Sprowl, John Smith, Saml. McClure, John Smiley, John McCuley, Richd. Mathews, Sampson Mathews, Daniel Sancion, Saml. Paxton, Wm. Paxton, John Oleston, Samuel Oleston, Saml. Walker.
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754, Pt. 2. - Return for constable in Fork James River. John Berriesford, Michael Finney, Stephen Arnold.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 23, 1754. - (126) Road ordered from Campbell's School House to Renix's Road--Saml. Walker, overseer--with these workers: William Bradshaw, John Maxwell, James Frazier, John McColley, John Peter and George Salley, Henry Fuller, Joseph Ryan, John Hutchings, John Hutchings, Jr., John Sprowl, Mathew Vance, Richard Benton, Wm. Burt, John Smith, Joseph Smith, John Allison, Wm. Byers, Richard Mathews, Sampson Mathews, Saml. Walker, Thos. Shaw, Stephen Arnold, John Peteet, Wm. Noble, Saml. Allison.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: James Wiley's, 3rd May, 1754; Stephen Arnold, 6th February, 1749-50; John Robinson, 16th February, 1753; Henry Holston, 4th October, 1753; Henry Zinn, 10th January, 1754; Ben. Watson and Ro. Rennix, 15th November, 1754; William Pepper, 13th February, 1753, 18th February, 1753; John Thompson, 20th November, 1753; Samuel Arnold, 15th March, 1751. (Note: listed among many others).
- Page 442.--23d October. 1765. Settlement recorded of estate of John Mathews, by Sampson and George Mathews--19th July, 1764, to 1 bad double loon (doubloon) passed by Jas. Huston, and returned; 17th November, paid Stephen Arnold a debt due his son James; 4th December, paid James Trimble for holding 2 inquests and constables' fees; paid Alex. Walls. Contra--18th April, 1764, by gold sold; 1st September. 1764, by burned silver, by Randall Lafone (?), by Christian Miliron (uncertain whether can be got).
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1766. - (153) Stephen Arnold imprisoned for debt.
- Page 18.--18th August, 1767. Nathaniel Evans' bond (with Stephen (mark ) Arnold) as guardian to Mary Reynolds, orphan of James Reynolds.