Facts and Events
Samuel Steele was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Samuel Steele
- WILL of Samuel Steele (From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records): 25th September, 179_. Samuel Steele's will - - To wife, Margaret; to daughter, Mary; to grandson, Samuel Steele Cunningham, infant; to daughters, Jenny, Kitty, Nancy; to grandson, Samuel Steele Rankin, infant; to son, William, home plantation. Executors, wife, Margaret, son William. Teste: John Cungham (Cunningham), David Cuningham, Robt. Hanna. Proved, 16th February, 1795, by the Cunninghams. William Steele qualified.
Records of Samuel Steele in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- AUGUST 18, 1762. (289) Edward Warner, witness to will of Mathew Erwin. William English exempted from County levy. Mary Gregory qualifies admx. of her deceased husband, Naphthalum Gregory. Samuel Steel, with two others, added to tithables. James Steel, John Steel, John Findley, and John Findley, Jr. added to tithables.
- MARCH, 1786 (A). - Anthony Mustoe vs. Samuel Steel and Margaret, his wife.--Writ, 8th February, 1785. Margaret said Anthony was a convict.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County, 1791--May 17, David Wilson and John Steele, surety. David Wilson and Sarah Steele, daughter of Samuel Steele (consent). Teste: John Steele.
- Vol. 2 - Augusta Marriages: 1791, May 19th, David Wilson and Sarah Steel.
- Vol. 2 - Steele vs. Koontz--O. S. 258; N. S. 90--Bill, 24th September, 1812. Complainants are, viz: Robert, John, Samuel, William Steel; William Patterson and David Buchanan (who married daughters of Samuel Steele, deceased; Saml. Grimes and Elizabeth, late Steele; William Baird and Polly, late Steele; all heirs, representatives and legatees of Samuel Steele, deceased, of Rockbridge, who died, testate. Involves lot in Brownsburg. Will of Samuel Steele of Rockbridge. Sons, Robert, Samuel, William; daughters, Polly Baird, Betsy Steel, land in Kentucky; sons-in-law, Patterson and Buchanan, lands in West Tennessee; son, John (long absent and uncertain of return), lands in Washington County; 8 children. Dated 29th December, 1807.
Information on Samuel Steele
From World Family Tree, Cd#14, Tree #2498:
Samuel Steele and his wife Margaret (Campbell) Steele, were born in Scotland and immigrated to Augusta County, Virginia. They were the parents of Jane Steele. Richard Rankin worked as a blacksmith with Samuel Steele, and married his daughter Jane.
Subj: Rebecca Lowry.
Date:1/15/02 8:58:13 PM Pacific Standard Time
I have been going thru old emails from my sister and I dont know if
she sent you a reply. We took a trip to Virginia and proved that John
who married Rebecca was the son of Samuel Steele of Steels Tavern
county. John and Robert were brothers.
Samuel was not the orginial owner of Steeles tavern But a second Buyer.
and Samuel both had stage coach stops.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Brøderbund Software, Inc. World Family Tree Vol. 13, Ed. 1. (Release date: August 14, 1997), Tree #3598.
Date of Import: Aug 9, 1998
- ↑ Chalkley, - Augusta County, Virginia Court Abstracts.
Help fund new features!