Facts and Events
Samuel Robinson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Samuel Robinson
- WILL OF SAMUEL ROBINSON
- I Samuel Robinson Sen'r of Russell County and state of Virginia, do make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following. That is to say:
- 1st I desire all my just debts and funeral expenses to be paid out of my personal estate.
- 2'd After the payment of my just debts and funeral expenses, I give to my beloved wife Jane Robinson all and singular my personal estate debts moneys, and perishable property during her life, to use and injoy as she may think proper to her own support and convenancy.
- 3rd I give my son Samuel Robinson all my real estate in Russell County and also all my inheritance descending from my father George Robinson who was one of the Loyal Company.
- 4th I desire that after the death of my beloved wife Jane Robinson all the personal estate if any should remain in her hands at her death to be equally divided between my son Samuel Robinson and my daughter Jane Fitchgerrell, and lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my son Samuel Robinson executor of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former Wills and Testaments by me heretofore made.
- In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 18th day of January the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifteen.
- (signed) Sam'l Robinson
- Signed, sealed published and declared as and for the last Will and Testament of the above named Samuel Robinson in presence of us: Alexander McFarlane, Charles Cromwell
- At a court held for Russell County the 8th day of March 1821 This instrument of writing was exhibited in court as and for the last will and testament of Samuel Robinson deceased, and proven by the oaths of Charles Cromwell & Alexander McFarlane the subscribing witnesses thereto, and ordered to be recorded; and At a court held for said county the 7th day of May 1822 On the motion of Richard P. Robinson who made oath, and together with Crabtree Price and William Hunt his securities entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of one thousand dollars conditioned as the law directs, certificate is granted for the said Richard P. Robinson for obtaining administration of the estate of Samuel Robinson sen'r deceased with his will annexed in due form.
- Teste: James P. Carrell D.C.
- [Source: Russell County, Virginia, Will Book 3, pp 361-362.
- Statement of Estate:
- A statement of Samuel Robinson, Sr.'s financial situation is shown in Will Book 3 dated November 4, 1828:
- 4 Ewes, 4 Lambs valued at $ 8.00
- Negro Women 10.00
- Negro Man 400.00
- Paid Dr. McFarland for attending the deceased in his last illness 6.00
- Paid Alec McFarland 1.76
- Paid James D. Hunt for coffin for slave 1.127
- 4 Ewes, 4 Lambs lost and killed by wolves
- Negro women ded'd before sale
- Negro man, Sawney to be emancipated
- Paid widow for wool and flax 2.50
- On motion of Richard P. Robinson. who made oath and together with Crabtree Price and William Hunt, his securities entered into and acknowledged a bond on penalty of $1,000.00 conditioned as the law directs, certificate is granted the said Richard P. Robinson fot attaining administration of estate of Samuel Robinson, Sr. dec'd with his will annexed in due form.
Generation No. 4
4. SAMUEL ROBINSON 4 SR. ( GEORGE 3 ROBINSON, JAMES 2, GEORGE 1 ) was born 1747 in Augusta County VA, and died 1821 in Elk Garden, VA. Russell County.
He married JANE MCFARLAND 1769 in Elk Garden VA. Russell County..
Notes for SAMUEL ROBINSON SR.:
Notes for SAMUEL Sr. ROBINSON:
Batch number: 6020245
Notes for SAMUEL Sr. ROBINSON:
Left Botetourt County in 1778 no records for next 8 years may have been in service of his country during this time. First record of being in Russell County is a record that shows that he was Captain of the Miliitia in 1786.
Death of Samuel Senior:
The death of Samuel Robinson, Sr. in 1821 was proven by the following record:
Samuel Robinson, Sr. against McHenry's Administration.
The death of the plaintiff being suggested in court, it is ordered that the same be spread upon record; whereupon it is adjudged, ordered and decreed that the said injunction in consequence of the death of the plaintiff be and stand dismissed.
- Children of SAMUEL SR. and JANE MCFARLAND are:
- 5.i. SAMUEL ROBINSON 5 JR., b. Abt. 1765, Elk Garden, VA. Russell County.; d. 1817.
- ii. JANE ROBINSON, m. FITZGERRALD.