Robert Telford, of the Borden Tract, Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
Robert Telford was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Robert Telford's land (Borden Tract NW, 230 acres, 1768) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 77.--21st March, 1759. James Henery, blacksmith, to Robert Telford (Tedford), joiner, £50, 200 acres, part of 408 acres in Borden's tract surveyed for Robt. Henery, deceased; corner James Henery. Teste: Andrew Hays, Alexander Miller. Delivered: Andrew Hays, January, 1760.
- Page 418.--10th May, 1768. Same (From Borden's executors) to Robert Talford, £40, 250 acres, part of 92,100, bank of the North River in the patent line; corner Charles Hays. Delivered: Robert Tedford.
- Page 118.--9th September, 1772. John Hays and Mary to John Tedford. Teste: Robert Tedford, John McCampbell, Samuel McDowell. Delivered: John Tedford, 31st May, 1794.
Records of Robert Telford in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 276.--6th May, 1758. John McCroskry's (signed Coskry) will, planter--To wife Elizabeth, Thomas Hill's bond; to daughter Elizabeth; to son James, 10 shillings; to son William, 10 shillings; to son John, 10 shillings; to son-in-law, William Caruthers; to son-in-law Saml. Huston; to son Alex. McCroskry, 10 shillings; to son Samuel, 10 shillings; to son David, 10 shillings; to son-in-law James Hope, 10 shillings; to granddaughter Margaret Hope and her two brothers; Saml. and David to pay the bonds assigned to James and William in case they lose not their lands by the enemy; Robert and Alexander Tedford's bonds to pay Margaret Hope; James and Isaac Anderson's bond to be divided between sons and daughters. Executors, son Samuel. Andrew Hays, Alex. Miller. Teste: James Moore, Jno. Maskamell, Alex. McCroskry. Proved, 15th November, 1758, by Moore and McCroskry. McCroskry and Miller qualified (the other not appearing), with Samuel Huston, John Cunningham.
- Page 247.--8th May, 1762. James, Henery and Mary ( ) to Robert Buchanan, £32.10, 208 acres in Borden's tract; cor. Robert Telford; cor. Andrew Steel. Delivered: Robert Buchanan, April, 1765.
- Page 289.--16th April, 1763. James Greenlee's estate appraised, by Saml. McDowell, Jno. McClung, Jas. McDowell--Negro slaves; Robt. Brownfield's note, Robt. Telford's note, Geo. Seaton's note, David Griffey's note, Lewis Morgan's note, Jno. Logan's note, Jno. Skilton's note, Robt. Bradshaw's note; debt vs. Thos. Cottrel. Insolvent notes of Lawrence Moiren, Joseph and Robt. Tarr, Ezekiel Clements, Jno. Ross, Thos. Taylor, Lawrence Moiren, Patrick Downing, Wm. Centern.
- Page 292.--18th May, 1765. Robert Buchanan and Mary ( ) to William Alexander, £100, 208 acres, part of Borden's 92,100; corner Robert Telford; corner Robert Steel. Teste: James Henry.
- Page 162.--10th March, 1768. Borden's executors to Mary Boyles, Boyle, widow, £20, 200 acres, part of 92,100; corner Robert Telford, oak on North River. Delivered: James Boyles, September, 1779.
- Page 200.--17th August, 1768. Borden's executors to John Sproul, £10, 250 acres, part of 92100, corner Andrew Steel and Wm. Alexander; corner Robert Telford. Robert Lowry's line.
- Page 242.--11th February, 1769. Margaret Rutherford's will--Widow, being old and failed in body; to son, Samuel Rutherford, deaf and dumb; to sons, John Wallace and Thomas Hutson; to Rebecca Campbell, after Samuel's death; to James Wallace, £7; to Robert Wallace, £5; to Margaret Hutson, £5; to Isbela Hutson, £5. Executors, Alex. Walker, William Buchanan. Teste: Robert Tedford, George Buchanan, Alex. Tedford, John Tedford. Proved, 18th May, 1774, by all the Tedfords. Executors qualified with David Tedford, John Wallace.
- Page 381.--24th May, 1769. John ( ) Sproul and Margaret to Alexander Wilson, £40, 250 acres of Borden's tract; corner Andrew Steel and William Alexander; corner Robert Telford, Robert Lowry's line. Teste: Charles Campbell, Thomas Alexander, Robert Wardlaw. Delivered: Alexander Wilson, March, 1772.
- Page 374.--20th March, 1771. Margaret Linsey's estate settled by John Gilmore--Paid Alexander Deal, John Beaty, Robt. McLehenny, Timothy Ryan, Wm. Porter, Alex. and Robt. Tedford.
- Page 200.--11th May, 1772. Baptist ( ) McNabb and Kathren ( ) to Moses Cunningham, of Botetourt County. Teste: Andrew Hays, Robert Tedford, Andrew McCampbell.